21/06/18 - 09:18 AM

Author Topic: Cutting Room Floor  (Read 5031 times)

Offline LargoDELLZ

Re: Cutting Room Floor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I will doublecheck with the editorial staff, but there really isn't much more to say about the Sonic Universe stuff without going into too much detail on "the Big Plan." I am holding out for hope to be able to do something with that day, so I don't want to spoil too much. As for the Silver one, it was kinda "mech" but the idea was there. Probably could use a few more tweaks.

And I never put much thought on how the adaptation would go. I figured since Archie will probably never do one, then we should give it a shot. I wanted to wait until I had the position before I went over any of the details.

Will look into adapting my character analyses, though.

Cool! Can't wait for it  :)
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »

But in the shadows, the members of New Mobotropolisís community that followed his teachings gather together, promising to bring a resurgence to the Order of Ixis in order to protect themselves and to not rely on the King-destroying Freedom Fighters.

Interesting that you mention this. People's attempts to learn Naugus' powers could potentially result in the many people with powers from Silver's timeline. But on another note, I think there would be risks of resurgence from more than just the Naugus supporters. The fact the Council and Freedom Fighters never made moves to get rid of NICOLE and was/is complacent with her, or rather, the nanites she controls being there is reason enough for some people to grow suspicious of the government in general.

Ask yourself: Realistically, how safe would you feel living in a city where a government installed-program could watch your every move? Even without Regina around to expose how dangerous NICOLE could potentially be, there was probably already tension in New Mobotropolis about her to begin with. She just made it worse. And with that in mind, I can easily see why the people took to Amadeus and later Naugus to protect them. And why Rosemary may have plotted to get rid of Elias for Naugus as outlined in your version. What's the point of even having a council if Elias and his family has a watchdog the size of a city to use against them at any time?  If you look at it this way, can you see why perhaps, characters like Hamlin would be bitter? With Naugus as king, and NICOLE booted out, power could be divided more evenly throughout the city. I think part of the reason the Kingdom of Acorn would fall in Silver's timeline is because for all their , the people within ultimately lacked trust in the intentions of those around them and began plotting against one another.

Well intentioned members of the council succumb to greed. Not because they were inherently power-hungry people but because they eventually grew not to trust certain political companions. Resulting in the need to obtain more and more and more power covertly to protect themselves and/or perhaps, the people around them. In short, a political arms race. You can already see this happening with the creation of the Secret Freedom Fighters. and how majority of the council members were left completely oblivious about its existence.

And if it wasn't bad enough that the monarchy and council didn't fully trust of one another, can you imagine all the conspiracy theories circulating about the Acorns, the council, AND Naugus? I'll probably go more into detail about this later, but my main point is, is there's a lot of ways for things to end very badly, and room for Silver to have to attempt mending things before everything falls apart and a domino effect occurs. Sonic and the Freedom Fighters won't be enough to solve this problem because their cohesiveness as a team and group of friends, is coming at the cost of them losing their touch and understanding with the people. After seeing how casually Sonic brushed people's very valid fears of NICOLE, and how much of a jerk I felt he was becoming throughout the entire arc, I'm convinced that the protagonists are gradually starting to prioritize the needs of the team/their friends more than the needs of the people. And Not because they're inherently bad people, but because, they spend so much time with each other fighting the war, they don't take the time to understand the people they're fighting for. Realistically, its a lot harder to empathize with the needs of people you don't interact with as much anymore compared to the friend who you see suffering everyday because of those people's reactions towards her.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:31:29 AM by Chielle »
Skype SN is Pearl_Chielle. 'Sup, Feel free ta buzz me! :p

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »
I figured people would want to follow Naugus becaue while he influenced the emotions of everyone, there are those who genuinely agreed with his rhetoric: that they could use a wizard for protection, and with him offering to give them wizard lessons, that means they don't have to rely on Nicole anymore, thus loosening the grip the heroes have on the city.

Heck, Sonic and Sally already were showing totalitarian actions when they marched into Mina's trailer. They believe they'd never become dictators, but the "road to Hell is pathed with good intentions," as it were.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »
I figured people would want to follow Naugus becaue while he influenced the emotions of everyone, there are those who genuinely agreed with his rhetoric: that they could use a wizard for protection, and with him offering to give them wizard lessons, that means they don't have to rely on Nicole anymore, thus loosening the grip the heroes have on the city.

I think people would follow Naugus for a number of reasons. There may be practitioners of his craft who doubt his intentions and even dislike him, but do it for the power to protect themselves and reclaim independence over their lives. Because at the very least you can take that knowledge and bail out whenever you want to. The alternative is being at NICOLE and the kingdom of Acorn's mercy for the rest of your life, and a borderline prisoner in their city.

Of course, there would be Acorn haters who don't trust Naugus or practice magic either -- Especially among family and loved ones in soldier circles, who would remember the incident surrounding Naugus' brainwashing (remember Return of the King?). They would disagree with the idea of experimenting with magic the people hardly know anything about, and having some idea of what Ixis powers are capable of through word of mouth, would probably grow to fear the capabilities of what these occultists would become is capable of along with other groups like the Kingdom of Acorn. This category is caught in the middle, and would probably be afraid of both sides, leading to other groups.

For a number of people, the Freedom Fighters and Kingdom Acorn wouldn't be seen as heroes anymore. Elias would be accused of taking advantage of the Robotnik war to force complacency and obedience among the people, and the Freedom Fighters would be disregarded as people who fight only for themselves and their own selfish reasons. And while this isn't .... entirely true, without Silver's intervention, they very well might go down that road, like a self fulfilling prophecy. If anything I feel like this would have made for a more interesting Mobius Years Later than the setting we ultimately got. There was just .. Too much about that possible future that I found unrealistic.

Heck, Sonic and Sally already were showing totalitarian actions when they marched into Mina's trailer. They believe they'd never become dictators, but the "road to Hell is pathed with good intentions," as it were.

Breifly touching on Mina, I can't realistically see all her fans being okay with her reconciling with NICOLE the way she did. Think about it. Her mother gets on the council and conveniently after she gets what she wants Mina changes tune? Even if she didn't mean anything malicious by it, that would sound very suspicious to some of her fans, who may accuse her of selling out. I think, more development of the Mina/NICOLE friendship should be touched on, because I think after that single she put out, it would get put to the test very quickly as Mina's fanbase takes a hit, and it low-key begins developing friction amongst her band.

But moving back onto Sonic, throughout the stories, you can even see Sonic developing the same self-entitled, hypocritical personality traits as Scourge. Its okay for him to stand up to the council and break the rules when he 'feels they're being stupid', but let the people and Amadeus do the same thing by standing up to Elias --- y'know the guy who bailed on them and ran away from his responsibilities for them and 'oh noes, that's treason'! And let's not forget the number of five year old temper tantrums he had when Naugus presented himself and became king.

That may sound like I dislike Sonic as a character, but I don't. If anything I feel it gives a realistic aspect to his character in that, even he's not morally infallible, and needs help from his friends to keep that in check. If anything, I think I'm more annoyed with the fact its always glossed over in the stories. That its always the people's fault for disagreeing with Sonic and how he and the Freedom Fighters are never in any morally questionable situation.

Sonic helps protect the people from Eggman, but who protects Sonic and the Freedom Fighters from themselves? Obviously Silver can't do it all alone. Personally, I would love to see the civilian characters touched on more as I feel they offer a lot of untapped potential to the stories. That and, we need more antagonists outside Eggman's sphere of influence. When the stories focus too much on Sonic fighting and not as much on his bonds with the people he's supposed to be fighting for, the audience loses just as much focus on their goals as the characters do.

Offline Glitcher

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 04:00:05 AM »

The hell? Sonic and Sally stepping in to defend their friend is a "totalitarian action" to you? I hate to see how you settle arguments among your mates. ::) If anything, Mina is the one at fault for rousing the populace against Nicole with her hate song. That's borderline demagoguery.

Breifly touching on Mina, I can't realistically see all her fans being okay with her reconciling with NICOLE the way she did. Think about it. Her mother gets on the council and conveniently after she gets what she wants Mina changes tune? Even if she didn't mean anything malicious by it, that would sound very suspicious to some of her fans, who may accuse her of selling out. I think, more development of the Mina/NICOLE friendship should be touched on, because I think after that single she put out, it would get put to the test very quickly as Mina's fanbase takes a hit, and it low-key begins developing friction amongst her band.

Boy, you and Mavrickindigo seem to be part of the same conspiracy theorists. Mina reconciling with Nicole is exactly what it is: She wanted to make amends with Nicole after turning her into a pariah. Isabella getting elected on the Council of Acorns around the same time can be filed under 'coincidences'. You're trying to dig up corruption and hidden agendas where there are none. The idea just sounds a little far-fetched.
Check out my guide for 10 Misconceptions About Criticism

Offline RaceProUK

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 04:55:24 AM »
Boy, you and Mavrickindigo seem to be part of the same conspiracy theorists.
Maybe you should read their posts again before accusing them of conspiracy: they're clearly talking about a small portion of Mina's fanbase.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 06:23:22 AM »
The hell? Sonic and Sally stepping in to defend their friend is a "totalitarian action" to you? I hate to see how you settle arguments among your mates. ::) If anything, Mina is the one at fault for rousing the populace against Nicole with her hate song. That's borderline demagoguery.

How is this all Mina's fault? I feel she had a justified reason to be concerned about NICOLE. In #219 she even mentions to Ash that TRIED to talk to Sonic about her feelings but that he wouldn't listen. The government had no plan on what to do to prevent NICOLE from attacking the people again, and all Sonic and Sally could do was expect everyone to just forgive, forget and get along with her because she was their friend, and they knew she was a good person. But did they ever stop to think about how little that mattered when she became Iron Nicole? Or of all the families and loved ones who were lost from these citizens who fear/hate her? And don't get me started on how badly Sonic mocked their feelings after he and Sally left the trailer. This is the kind of thing that makes me say the Freedom Fighters are growing out of touch with their people. I'm not saying they should hate NICOLE and join the groupthink, but they wouldn't even acknowledge there was a problem they needed to solve. Not even for her sake. They could have looked into alternatives to help her (C'mon, guys you HAD Khan you could ask!), Sonic could have avoided the whole concert if he had simply told Mina that much, but instead, they remained in complete denial over the situation until it blew up in their faces which lead to NICOLE getting hurt more. They may be our heroes but that doesn't mean they can't do any wrong or make mistakes, either.

Boy, you and Mavrickindigo seem to be part of the same conspiracy theorists. Mina reconciling with Nicole is exactly what it is: She wanted to make amends with Nicole after turning her into a pariah. Isabella getting elected on the Council of Acorns around the same time can be filed under 'coincidences'. You're trying to dig up corruption and hidden agendas where there are none. The idea just sounds a little far-fetched.

To clarify:Regarding Mina, and majority of my above and prior posts, I was simply speaking from the perspective of a run of the mill, average citizen, who isn't going to know what we, the viewers do. Yes, we know the nature of Mina reconciling with NICOLE, and we know Isabella's run for office was coincidental to Mina's new song, but that doesn't change how conveniently suspicious that might look to some people in the city. Particularly those who aren't supposed to understand what we do.

And there are some I imagine, who wouldn't care regardless of if they knew the truth. They would still resent Mina anyway, and would still accuse her of being a sell-out for prioritizing her friendship with NICOLE over what they feel are the people's needs. Isabella's new policies focus more on allowing NICOLE to return under monitored conditions. And while that might placate some folks, for other citizens that's just not going to be good enough. They want her nanites gone. Even if the council is able to monitor NICOLE, how would they go about doing that? And assuming they do find a way, there are going to be people who just aren't comfortable with a government program the size of a city capable of watching their every move. As a matter of fact, one of the citizens even complained about this very point during Mina's concert.

Mina siding with her mom realistically, would probably come at the cost of some of her fans, unfortunately. She can't please everyone, and portraying her as this universally adored pop star in spite of everything that's happened would be IMO, Mary-Sueish.

While a lot of their basis for it wouldn't be rooted in total truth, I imagine that all the recent shenanigans would create some conspiracy theorists among the common people. If nothing else, it might prove a unique way of introducing someone like Sticks into the stories (Or her Prime Zone equivalent).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:21:53 AM by Chielle »

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
Hello, everyone: I come bearing my character ideas!

http://mavrickindigo.deviantart.com/art/ASO-Character-Concepts-and-Ideas-640249401?ga_submit_new=10%253A1476550178

We, as readers, know what Sonic and Sally were doing. But do you honestly think a scared populace is going to see a superpowered super being and a person with total authority to do what she wants because she was born into it as a good thing? In case you forgot, they have been dealing with a dictator for most of their lives, one who had disguised himself as a friend to the people for his own goals.

One thing that we need to realize is that Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog was probably the single most political version of Sonic the Hedgehog, which is why the comic veered away from the city so it wouldn't get bogged down from it. We wouldn't have such a luxury to just up and abandon New Mobotropolis. Barring some cosmic shift in events that the editors don't really care for, from what I've seen, the first thing Gentleman X is going to have to do is take care of all the political stuff, which is going to be stories upon stories in their own right.

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
Hello, everyone: I come bearing my character ideas!

http://mavrickindigo.deviantart.com/art/ASO-Character-Concepts-and-Ideas-640249401?ga_submit_new=10%253A1476550178

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to post this. Are the "Redacted" bits plot points that you're purposely holding off because you still want to use them at some point or do you plan on revealing them at some point later down the road?
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 01:52:44 PM »
@Mavrickindigo

I take it that most of the [REDACTED] brackets are censoring either spoilers or ideas that haven't been fully thought-out yet.

Offline The Shadow Imperator

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
@Mavrickindigo

I take it that most of the [REDACTED] brackets are censoring either spoilers or ideas that haven't been fully thought-out yet.

It means that I think that an idea is worth having on the table for use in future stories.

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
It means that I think that an idea is worth having on the table for use in future stories.

Ah, okay then. Thanks for the answer, Shadow Imperator. I won't press this further then.

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
I hate to see how you settle arguments among your mates. ::)

Boy, you and Mavrickindigo seem to be part of the same conspiracy theorists.
These are examples of pointed, personal insults. Do not do this. Thanks.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 05:47:49 AM »
Can we just talk more of other ideas that were in the cutting floor please?

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
Can we just talk more of other ideas that were in the cutting floor please?
Man, here I thought there was more to talk about, but it was necromancy.