21/08/17 - 03:24 AM

Author Topic: DoNotDelete's Character Design + General Artwork Demo Reel  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Kelli

Re: DoNotDelete's Character Design + General Artwork Demo Reel
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 03:58:20 AM »
Looking forward to see more  :))

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

Location concept art. Also walking space lighthouses which can shoot laser beams!

Bitmap tree artwork! Many blossoms! Much hayfever!

Looking forward to see more  :))

I hope you get the chance to tell me what you think of these when you get un-banned.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline faceclams

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
Hey DND, kudos for making the dive and trying new techniques, even though it's difficult at first and the temptation of staying in your safe zone is strong. At least you already have a lot of universally-applicable fundamentals and don't have to really start from scratch!

Since you've only done a few pieces so far, I don't really know what you're aiming for with bitmap art, cel-shaded graphic looking stuff is definitely doable, but if you're trying to improve your painterly skills, I think you need to focus on blending and making smooth gradients to describe curved planes, since it's an area mostly absent in vector illustrations. I notice that you sometimes try to make highlights and shadows with crosshatchy strokes rather than a solid change in value.

The first step would be just practicing how to blend nicely, once you've got that basic mechanical skill down, you can focus on describing 3D form with values, really focus on which parts of the painting needs a sharp edge and which parts call for a softer edge.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »
The first step would be just practicing how to blend nicely, once you've got that basic mechanical skill down, you can focus on describing 3D form with values, really focus on which parts of the painting needs a sharp edge and which parts call for a softer edge.

You've hit the nail on the head; The thing that most frustrates me about vector artwork is the difficulty in drawing/painting subtle changes in tone. With vectors everything is precision and accuracy - the main reason I'm practising bitmap art is to try and get a handle on the subtle side of things. I guess it's just practice and perseverance at this point.

Thanks for commenting.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye