11/12/17 - 09:02 AM

Author Topic: DoNotDelete's Character Design + General Artwork Demo Reel  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Kelli

Re: DoNotDelete's Character Design + General Artwork Demo Reel
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 03:58:20 AM »
Looking forward to see more  :))

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

Location concept art. Also walking space lighthouses which can shoot laser beams!

Bitmap tree artwork! Many blossoms! Much hayfever!

Looking forward to see more  :))

I hope you get the chance to tell me what you think of these when you get un-banned.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline faceclams

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
Hey DND, kudos for making the dive and trying new techniques, even though it's difficult at first and the temptation of staying in your safe zone is strong. At least you already have a lot of universally-applicable fundamentals and don't have to really start from scratch!

Since you've only done a few pieces so far, I don't really know what you're aiming for with bitmap art, cel-shaded graphic looking stuff is definitely doable, but if you're trying to improve your painterly skills, I think you need to focus on blending and making smooth gradients to describe curved planes, since it's an area mostly absent in vector illustrations. I notice that you sometimes try to make highlights and shadows with crosshatchy strokes rather than a solid change in value.

The first step would be just practicing how to blend nicely, once you've got that basic mechanical skill down, you can focus on describing 3D form with values, really focus on which parts of the painting needs a sharp edge and which parts call for a softer edge.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »
The first step would be just practicing how to blend nicely, once you've got that basic mechanical skill down, you can focus on describing 3D form with values, really focus on which parts of the painting needs a sharp edge and which parts call for a softer edge.

You've hit the nail on the head; The thing that most frustrates me about vector artwork is the difficulty in drawing/painting subtle changes in tone. With vectors everything is precision and accuracy - the main reason I'm practising bitmap art is to try and get a handle on the subtle side of things. I guess it's just practice and perseverance at this point.

Thanks for commenting.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline Kelli

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 03:36:07 AM »
aw man seeing these makes me want to try the bitmap software,

it looks pretty good  :)) the tree is my favorite the shading and lighting gives it such an ´´alive´´ touch´´.
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:25 AM »
aw man seeing these makes me want to try the bitmap software,

'Bitmap software' is really just any kind of painting program that doesn't use vectors - which is to say it's the majority of artworking programs out there.

Actually, I wonder if trying to push into doing bitmap artwork threw me off my game; I feel like I lost any sense of artistic identity/direction in trying to broaden my wings too abruptly.

Incoming mecha alert:

This started out as one of those 'draw a doodle blindfolded' things - meaning that this started out as a half-second scribble - and grew into this. I went into this drawing blind; No planning; No reference.

I think that really such drawings are actually more like 'Rorschach tests' - meaning that what you first see in the scribble - and what you end up drawing from that starting point are indicative of deeper psychological desire, probably meaning that - on some subconscious level of 'truth' - this is the kind of thing I really want to be drawing. Which I suppose makes me 'one of those' anthroplane people.

I drew this with the intent for her to be able to transform; I would like to draw her bipedal mode at some point.

I'm still thinking about taking part in 'Inktober' - but truth be told a drawing this complicated is a two-day job; I simply could not submit a drawing like this every day for a month. Years ago though, a drawing of this level of detail would have taken me *two weeks* to complete, not two days.

You have to remind yourself how far you've come sometimes.

Offline Snrub

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:37 AM »

I really like this drawing, especially the tail. It reminds me of a Chinese dragon or some of the interpretations I've seen of Quetzalcoatl. Is this the technological terror you were referring to in your Deus Ex post?
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." -John Muir

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
I really like this drawing, especially the tail. It reminds me of a Chinese dragon or some of the interpretations I've seen of Quetzalcoatl. Is this the technological terror you were referring to in your Deus Ex post?

Yes, she was the technological terror I was referring to when I posted that piece of music. I have actually been trying to achieve this kind of machine/animal/anthropomorph design for a long time. I'm presently toying with designs in regard to creating helicopter and submarine monster-women too.

I realised she's actually harking back to a piece I was exposed to in my youth (well over a decade ago), a piece called 'Dragon Drone' by Tim White:

I'll admit, however, my own jet-dragon-woman errs more heavily toward my own (somewhat vulgar) design preferences. Life's too short to be ashamed of the things you create, though; She is as pure a communication of my creative energies as she could be.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »
'Bitmap software' is really just any kind of painting program that doesn't use vectors - which is to say it's the majority of artworking programs out there.

Actually, I wonder if trying to push into doing bitmap artwork threw me off my game; I feel like I lost any sense of artistic identity/direction in trying to broaden my wings too abruptly.

Incoming mecha alert:

This started out as one of those 'draw a doodle blindfolded' things - meaning that this started out as a half-second scribble - and grew into this. I went into this drawing blind; No planning; No reference.

I think that really such drawings are actually more like 'Rorschach tests' - meaning that what you first see in the scribble - and what you end up drawing from that starting point are indicative of deeper psychological desire, probably meaning that - on some subconscious level of 'truth' - this is the kind of thing I really want to be drawing. Which I suppose makes me 'one of those' anthroplane people.

I drew this with the intent for her to be able to transform; I would like to draw her bipedal mode at some point.

I'm still thinking about taking part in 'Inktober' - but truth be told a drawing this complicated is a two-day job; I simply could not submit a drawing like this every day for a month. Years ago though, a drawing of this level of detail would have taken me *two weeks* to complete, not two days.

You have to remind yourself how far you've come sometimes.

Awesomee worrkkk, I find Mechart hard to, so this is impressivee
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
It's just practice really. I actually find mechs easier to draw because I can imagine how all the limb components/joints relate to and rotate around each other; Trying to remember exactly how organic muscles are anatomically arranged and how they relate to one another is far more difficult.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:25 AM »

Really this was just a warm-up piece, but I'm sensitive to the fact I don't get the same kind of satisfaction from doing this kind of work as I used to.

She looks like she just broke somebody's window or something.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:22:30 AM by DoNotDelete »