20/02/19 - 12:08 PM

Author Topic: Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog: In Memoriam  (Read 182286 times)

Offline DoNotDelete

Re: Subscriptions no longer available on the archie site?
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
It was funny back then, when it was actually in reference to the game and how weird that whole thing was. Having it awkwardly shoved into a Sonic the Hedgehog comic book a decade after it's been run into ground is significantly less funny and just feels like a dumb attempt at a joke.

Well that was a decade I somehow got through without ever knowing about this 'Giant Enemy Crab' thing.

Was it ever funny? I mean, I'm new to it and it's not doing anything for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2017, 06:13:15 PM »
Memes were always common in media, even before the internet came into existence. Ultimately, it's the execution that matters most.

Case in point, many of the classic "Looney Tunes" catchphrases, such as "This means war!" and "I'm feeling mighty low.", were all quotes taken from popular comedians and radio shows at the time period. Nowadays, you'd have to be a cultural historian like Leonard Maltin to recognize these kinds of gags, but people can still get a crack out of them because of how random and non-sequitur they tend to be. And if you get the joke, it makes it all the funnier.

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
Well that was a decade I somehow got through without ever knowing about this 'Giant Enemy Crab' thing.

Was it ever funny? I mean, I'm new to it and it's not doing anything for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
It was funny, because Sony was trying to explain why you should pay 600 bucks for a Playstation 3. One of their arguments was that they had a realistic Japanese war game, and then immediately they say, without a shred of self-awarness "here's this giant enemy crab..."

It's like... how do you even put those two ideas together and not have people point it out at you?

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
It was funny, because Sony was trying to explain why you should pay 600 bucks for a Playstation 3. One of their arguments was that they had a realistic Japanese war game, and then immediately they say, without a shred of self-awarness "here's this giant enemy crab..."

It's like... how do you even put those two ideas together and not have people point it out at you?

Yeah, I get where it came from now. I guess it's kind of like IGN's Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire "7.8/10 - Too Much Water" thing.

As memes go it's a bit of a limp lettuce leaf though. That I somehow got through ten years of internet exploring without stumbling across it must say something about it. Or maybe I've just been living under a rock.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »

A personal favorite: http://lexluthorbeating.ytmnd.com/

Offline The Swordsman

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »
While I would have some extra money to spend on something else I rather not have comic end. (Plus Marvel has gotten rid of Flash as Venom which ticked me off though it seems Eddie Brock is coming back and that could be good if kept as a anti hero but I digress) I have really enjoyed the reboot despite its flaws and it still is my favorite comic book.
"Stay in the light or we will drag you into it."-The Vigllant, TES: Skyrim
If you have Christ in your heart, copy this into your sig!

« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Universe 96 has been delayed to May 10th.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN171340
VERY COOL™

Offline Toby

« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Feels to me that at this point they're just stalling the inevitable.

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2017, 04:03:14 AM »
I don't know.  It felt the same way around the same time last year and it still came back.  I'm not ruling out cancellation, but there's more than one or two circumstances that make me question that being the case.

Offline SBR

« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »

I mean if you want cynical about it. :P

Seriously though I'm with QuantumEdge. The same thing happened last year and it'll probably happen again next year to equal panic.
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
I don't recall subscriptions being "unavailable" last year, though.

Did Ian or anyone else comment during the hiatus last year?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:33:38 AM by Mister X »
VERY COOL™

« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »

If it's another printing issue, maybe they want to keep the number of subscribers unchanged for now till the issues are resolved.

That is, assuming it is another printing problem.

Offline SBR

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »

Ok fair enough that part is different.
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I think the only way we'll know for sure is just to wait it out.

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
Waiting it out would be the best and possibly only course of action.

Sadly, it's only February.