22/07/17 - 03:56 AM

Author Topic: Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog: In Memoriam  (Read 55131 times)

Re: Subscriptions no longer available on the archie site?
« Reply #930 on: June 30, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
Today I was lucky enough to meet Ian Flynn at a comic convention, so I asked him about the comic. The short answer is doesn't know anything, but he expects news in July.

When I asked him about it, it seemed like he genuinely didn't know anything. He seemed particularly frustrated, telling me "it's been bad for me because I haven't had any work in six months." He also said, "but that's the nature of a licensed comic--they can disappear at any point." I asked him if he knew when we would find out, and he said, "I've heard we should get news by end of July."

I then asked him if he knew if it was because of legal negotiations and he said, "No idea. That kind of stuff is way above my pay grade."

I also asked him if Jughead was canceled, and he said, "the term I've heard is hiatus." And so I asked him if it was on hiatus in the same way Mega Man is on hiatus and he frowned and said, "hopefully it's not as long as Mega Man."

He also handed me a promotion for a new comic that he and Adam Bryce Thomas are working on called "Drogune."

By the end of the conversation, I got the feeling that Archie has completely flaked out on him and they are keeping him in the dark too. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for him because he's written the comics for so long, and Archie is not treating him fairly by just throwing the contract out with no explanation or timeline.

Regardless, he did say we should have news by the end of July, although who really knows if Archie will stick with that date. He did seem like he was trying to move onto other projects though, which is totally understandable, but it left me a little worried that the comic is not coming back.

« Reply #931 on: July 01, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Is Archie even going to be around much longer?
You've given up, now try 7up.

Offline Mobotropolis

« Reply #932 on: July 01, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
I genuinely believe that Ian and the other creatives don't know what's happening.

That's just the nature of contract work which is becoming increasingly common. You can work for a company for years and then they just drop the axe on you. No warning. No severance. None of the types of things typically affronted to salaried employees because you're not one. Its the worse when you might be heavily invested in something but the people above you don't really care about that or you in particular regardless of the success you've brought them.

It seems like all of the creatives who were heavily invested in Sonic are struggling, and I sort-of wish that there was something we as a fandom can do for them. The closest thing I could think of is a general thread with all of the side-projects that they might be working on. You can't give money to Archie at the moment to support them, but you can give money to them directly through Comissions and Patreon.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #933 on: July 02, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
I've decided I'm going to try to upload more of my work to Tumblr, but I find the interface difficult to get used to. Sites like dA and FA are more what I'm used to in terms of people being able to leave feedback. Personally I find Tumblr's set up jarring/difficult to get comfortable with.

Very true Deviantart and FA both have a much more nicer interface but it seems that the more social interface systems are outdated  or no longer as liked, many people theorize this is due to the Like-Button generation where more and more people just do not feel they have the time to comment on concepts or stuff like they used to. It could also be because people are scared of offending people too much nowadays, never the less it took me a while but I got the hang out of Tumblr , its interface really is a one way track and but it just has way more trafic then DA has nowadays.
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline NiTROACTiVE

« Reply #934 on: July 03, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
Is Archie even going to be around much longer?
I don't know about Archie Comics Publications, but maybe the Sonic Comics aren't resuming again anytime soon.

Offline Mobotropolis

« Reply #936 on: July 08, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »
Apparently Archie Comics will not be at Comic Con later this month.

They were there the last three years but not on the exhibitor list this year. Huh.

I guess they wanted to head-off the angry mob.

Not just about Sonic.

Betty is dying/dead, apparently. Though knowing Archie she will either not die or not stay dead.

Don't they have a Zombie line? Are we getting Zombie-Betty? Or maybe Ghost-Betty.

« Reply #937 on: July 08, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
And now word is an artist for Archie Sonic dropped the "C" word, Definitely not looking good for Archie in general at this point. Link

« Reply #938 on: July 08, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
At this point I'm pretty sure that Archie, as we know it, will cease to exist by the end of the year. Their properties and whatnot are most likely going to be bought out.

If anyone is going to continue the Sonic license it's going to be IDW, but as for Archie's original IPs, those will go to DC, since TheCW and DC are both owned by the same company, TimeWarner.

Offline SBR

« Reply #939 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:37 AM »
At this point I'm pretty sure that Archie, as we know it, will cease to exist by the end of the year. Their properties and whatnot are most likely going to be bought out.

If anyone is going to continue the Sonic license it's going to be IDW, but as for Archie's original IPs, those will go to DC, since TheCW and DC are both owned by the same company, TimeWarner.

Y'know normally I'd say that is a ridiculous jump in logic since a lot of stuff is on the CW But.
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #940 on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if we see Archie drastically reorganized or dissolved at this point. Given that Riverdale was reasonably successful, they could easily decide to merge with a larger company or reduce their licenses so they're just working on Archie/Riverdale. A full TV production is much more work and much harder to manage than comics, and given Archie seems to have an abundance of bad management, I could see this happening.

Best case, the Sonic license is sold to IDW or similar, and it doesn't change too much because the artists and writers were contract/freelance anyway.

Offline Zack

« Reply #941 on: July 09, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
The mods should probably change the name of this thread to The Archie Sonic Cancellation Speculation Thread.

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2017, 08:51:18 PM »
We'll update if we get official word from Archie. Until then, I think everyone knows what the topic's about.

« Reply #943 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
So Archie's not on that contributor list, but is still scheduled for an event there? I'm confused.

(edit: So it seems they'll definitely be there. Still dunno why they're absent from that first list)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:20:33 PM by Gonzo »

« Reply #944 on: July 10, 2017, 04:13:05 AM »
I *think* it means that they aren't having a booth on the exhibition floor.

edit: Which is still kinda strange. If they are having an event, but not booth...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:15:52 AM by NightFury »