11/12/17 - 08:55 AM

Author Topic: Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog: In Memoriam  (Read 97638 times)

Re: Subscriptions no longer available on the archie site?
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much work has Ian done with IDW? I know he wrote a few stories for one of their Ninja Turtles comics, but I don't know if he's done anything else.
"Star Wars is really about a top half Darth Maul robot and a bottom half Darth Maul robot fighting each other with 20 lightsabers while Obi-Wan is stuck in the middle."

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Yeah...Then you remember chronologically the last thing to happen is that the Chaotix didn't get their pay from Meropis and it just becomes hilarious. That is chronologically the note the Archie continuity goes out on.
This made me realize - fans are very lucky they decided to speed the book's pace up. Can you imagine if they stuck to the original plan and this happened now while Shattered World was still planned to end in 300?

Out of curiosity, how much work has Ian done with IDW? I know he wrote a few stories for one of their Ninja Turtles comics, but I don't know if he's done anything else.
To date that's it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:37:32 PM by GentlemanX »

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
This made me realize - fans are very lucky they decided to speed the book's pace up. Can you imagine if they stuck to the original plan and this happened now while Shattered World was still planned to end in 300?

On that note:

#thankskaminski
Every decision Paul Kaminski made is what led the book to this point. Not restarting with a hard reboot, horrible editorial decisions, insistence on selling graphic novels of old issues that got them in legal trouble in the first place

Maybe it would have led to a more negative reaction because of a lack of closure or whatever, but I still wish they'd done a hard reboot instead of wasting time with that dumb dual memories thing that led to nothing.

Doubtless Kaminski's love of years-long epic stories are to thank for the Shattered World Crisis dragging on for so long too - I'm sure that didn't help with sales.

Rest in peace, Nicole... :/

That kind of brings it home. This isn't just the end of the comic - it's the SatAM cast being laid to rest as well. They've been knocking around in popular culture now for, what? Nearly thirty years? That's a heck of a long run.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:53:01 PM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline TuxKnux

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »
I find this whole situation bizarre. Art for the next few issues is guaranteed to be finished (and probably printing for #291 as well), so it would make logical sense for Archie to release at least that much. If the comic's completely canceled, I expect that there are a lot of shenanigans going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Regardless, I'm sure Ian knows nothing of what's going on. I don't think that's changed since last time...
"You can't mess with Big the Cat anymore."--IGN

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
At least they made a cameo in Sonic Spinball and Sonic Boom Fire and Ice.

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »
That kind of brings it home. This isn't just the end of the comic - its the SatAM cast being laid to rest as well. They've been knocking around in popular culture now for, what? Nearly thirty years? That's a heck of a long run.
SatAM's concepts are owned by Sega. While they may choose not to allow their use in the future, it's still possible for them to show up.

At the very least their fate will be about the same as Mighty, Nack, and the rest.

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
Literally just got off the phone with Archie's Order help. I asked a few questions and got some interesting answers.

1.) When will I receive Sonic 291?
"you should be getting that next month"

2.) Can I get a refund instead of store credit for any leftover issues?
"You will have to talk to the manager to see"

3.) I guess you were getting a lot of calls today, huh?
"Yeah, we were getting a lot of premature calls today. We got nothing official over here to say, it's just temporarily off the site, is all."

I had no idea I would get a response like that, so I thought I would share. I would have transcribed the whole dang call if I expected the order person to actually say that last bit!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:18:10 PM by Mavrickindigo »

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
At least they made a cameo in Sonic Spinball and Sonic Boom Fire and Ice.

Who were the cameos in Sonic Boom Fire and Ice?

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Who were the cameos in Sonic Boom Fire and Ice?

According to LogiTeeka, a comicbook cover appearing in the background of some interior depicts the Freedom Fighters.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
3.) I guess you were getting a lot of calls today, huh?
"Yeah, we were getting a lot of premature calls today. We got nothing official over here to say, it's just temporarily off the site, is all."

There might have been some kind of memo passed around the office (something along the lines of: "Don't let it slip that Archie Sonic's being canned"), but that is somewhat of a reminder we are all jumping the gun here - at least until Archie makes some kind of official statement.

It's interesting to see how everyone is so quick to take the worst case scenario to heart - at least when Archie is involved. I guess all the circumstances just seem to lean toward that outcome. It was only a small snowball of doubt that has led to this runaway avalanche of despair.

I'm not holding out for good news though.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline SBR

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
I find this whole situation bizarre. Art for the next few issues is guaranteed to be finished (and probably printing for #291 as well), so it would make logical sense for Archie to release at least that much. If the comic's completely canceled, I expect that there are a lot of shenanigans going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Regardless, I'm sure Ian knows nothing of what's going on. I don't think that's changed since last time...

Well it's not like Archie doesn't have a history of ending a book as an arc was getting produced.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2011/08/whatever-happened-to-forever-war.html
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »
If that's the case, I wonder why they're "temporarily" off the site?
"Star Wars is really about a top half Darth Maul robot and a bottom half Darth Maul robot fighting each other with 20 lightsabers while Obi-Wan is stuck in the middle."

Offline Kelli

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
Im sorry if this was already posted but Diana Skelly had this to say https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/6-archies-sonic-the-hedgehog/?page=1118#comment-1074906

For context, since I donít wanna to give the wrong idea.
I haven't contacted anyone or have been contacted about it. My parroting wasn't me cryptically tiptoeing around an NDA.
I've been suspicious of the rumors but I also donít have a good track record of calling things.

I briefly noted this in my barely updated tumblr, but I personally learned that the Sonic Boom comic was ending while penciling the final issue, and only through Archieís twitter.
However the sentiment that it would be strange to immediately stop subscriptions when thereís evidence of future issues would be correct. I've seen no delays or gaps in production on the server for any of the books and certainly no sign of things wrapping up. When the last two books ended there wasn't unused art for four planned issues hanging around.

I mean thereís a cancelation and then thereís a last second quarantine FBI cover up to stop a flesh eating virus.

You may all carry on with your uncertainty.

Offline Zack

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has noted this but Sonic Universe #95 has been pushed back two weeks. Which at least seems to imply that the book is coming out?

Offline Snrub

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
I'll wait for official word before I start gathering wood for the funeral pyre. Personally, I don't believe things are as bad as the speculation is making it out to be. I think at worst we're looking at a hiatus while the Fulop case is sorted out. Sure, Archie is having a sale to clear their inventory, but so is everyone else this time of year so don't understand why people are reading into that. The comic is still profitable for Archie as far as I can tell and it's still giving Sonic exposure for Sega so I don't see any reason to either party would want to put a stop to their arrangement.
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." -John Muir