22/10/18 - 15:48 PM

Author Topic: Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog: In Memoriam  (Read 169044 times)

Re: Subscriptions no longer available on the archie site?
« Reply #735 on: May 03, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
Well, I sent them a tip, at least.

Their tip line can be found here. Select "news tip/correction" in the drop down.

« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
Alright, I've been holding onto some information for a while until we got some more details and because I've been going through some personal stuff on my end. However, I had the pleasure of seeing my informant (and a few other informants who know what their talking about) during Free Comic Book Day yesterday, and I have some new information.

The book is definitely cancelled, and the reason why we haven't heard anything yet is because Archie and Sega were trying to reach a deal together, and because--like I said many months ago--Archie is stalling because of the potential PR nightmare right now while it's all hands-on-deck during Riverdale. My informant also mentioned that Jon Goldwater (the CEO of Archie Comics) has told him privately that eventually, they want to "get away from Sonic" because it's "not really Archie," despite how much of a money-maker it is. When I asked if, also, it was likely that Archie didn't feel like fighting back for the license, he explained that (as stated above) Archie has had one foot out the door for a long time for a number of reasons (ie: low sales of Sonic recently, bad decisions on other books like Reggie and Me only selling ~4000 copies, the Fulop lawsuit). He also inferred that Sega apparently wanted more money to retain the license, giving more reasons for Archie to not re-up.

Finally, he said he knows how annoying it is that Archie has still not clued the fans in as to what's going on (he no longer works for Archie and hasn't for some time, but he's spoken to people who currently do). So he obviously doesn't know when it'll happen.

Believe me, I'm not happy in relaying this information--this sucks. But I think we should've all seen this coming.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:54:24 PM by doctorben »

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
Thanks for that information, doctorben. It ties in with everything I've read into this situation so I don't see any reason not to believe what you're saying.

You guys with subscriptions should really get onto working on getting your money back - Archie's only stalling on the cancellation announcement so they can indefinitely squirm out of giving you a refund. Withholding this kind of information for reasons of deceiving subscribers is a real scandal in my opinion and Archie should be hauled over hot coals for such behaviour. Hopefully Archie's reputation will be completely shot when the truth about all of this comes out.

I've got no love for Archie any more.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Thanks for that information, doctorben. It ties in with everything I've read into this situation so I don't see any reason not to believe what you're saying.

You guys with subscriptions should really get onto working on getting your money back - Archie's only stalling on the cancellation announcement so they can indefinitely squirm out of giving you a refund. Withholding this kind of information for reasons of deceiving subscribers is a real scandal in my opinion and Archie should be hauled over hot coals for such behaviour. Hopefully Archie's reputation will be completely shot when the truth about all of this comes out.

I've got no love for Archie any more.

It will and they will fall hard, but at last we knew something was up. I had a feeling Archie was the culprit in the long run and not Sega since they want their product to be represented. I can say thanks to you guys you've informed me and others how shady Archie can be and I think that's why Ken Penders was going at them hard. For the CEO to say Sonic wasn't Archie enough just means they didn't have any interest in it anymore regardless how many years was Sonic has been with them. I hope something good happens to the Sonic comic so it can resurface again, but under good terms and a good publisher that knows there are Sonic comic fans out there.

If not IDW then hopefully Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:46:16 AM by Turbotailz »

« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip-off doctorben(MD). I just hope it's the push that's needed to pressure Archie into finally giving the information officially, and quickly.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #740 on: May 07, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
I mean - of course this is just one person's word against Archie's until we get an official statement - but I really don't think there's going to be a happy ending to this tale when we finally do get word from Archie.*

Just trying to balance/offset my earlier response there.

*However - as stated earlier - I have my doubts Archie will ever announce the cancellation unless their hand is forced.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:55:03 PM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
Is there not one person expecting a positive outcome, you guys almost seem like you want things to turn out badly.

Offline Mobotropolis

« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
Is there not one person expecting a positive outcome, you guys almost seem like you want things to turn out badly.

What exactly would be a positive outcome be in this case? What do people even want?

I didn't say anything at all about the situation for about a month because I was divided about what I actually wanted.

On one hand I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to the book as a whole because it did have some redeeming qualities. If nothing else, a monthly book filled the void between games and television seasons. The book provided different perspectives and helped me learn to like characters that I probably would not have liked through the game material alone like Shadow and Amy.

On the other hand, the book hasn't been something that I particularly enjoyed in what feels like forever. My disenchantment with the book seemed to line up with the beginning of the decline of readership after Sonic 225. After we came back from Genesis we had a misery-congo where most of the SatAM cast was put on the bus and we were forced to endure the dry-ness that was Team Fighters going on a globe hopping adventure. Then the reboot happened. While the reboot did trim out a lot of " the fat " I didn't find what was left behind to be terribly appealing.

As I said a few posts ago ... I want the book to be good again.

If it can't be that, then I want people to get their money back.

Unfortunately, I do not have much hope that the book will be good again between Archie's missteps and SEGA's tightened leash. The book may never be what I want it to be again ... and that is fine. I've read the book for 15 years and subscribed for a majority of that time. Six months into this " hiatus " and five years of being underwhelmed I'm becoming okay with the idea that it might be time to say goodbye.

Unless there's a huge shakeup I don't really see myself buying another issue. 

I think part of the reason Archie is waiting so long is because they know people will be angry initially, but if they wait a while people will have calmed down and " have come to expect this ". If they release nothing for a year and then quietly cancel the book outright there'd probably be more acceptance than outrage.

Offline Snrub

« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »

Greetings fellow Lovecraft fan.

Expecting a positive outcome? No, not really. Chances of the book coming back are looking increasingly remote as time passes and as others have pointed out Archie seems to be following a similar pattern of behavior to what happened when the Megaman series was cancelled. I don't think anyone is actively rooting for a negative outcome however. I would assume most people want the comic to come back and what you're seeing is that there is a lot of frustration stemming from Archie's seeming unwillingness to communicate with their customers. In turn those customers feel betrayed that Archie seems to have so little regard for them and some are feeling outright ripped-off because they're not receiving what they subscribed for.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:35:49 PM by Snrub »
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." -John Muir

« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
dry-ness that was Team Fighters going on a globe hopping adventure

Well that's your opinion. I thought Team Fighters was awesome. The saving grace of the mess that was the Mecha Sally arc.

« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »
On one hand, I will be saddened to see this comic go. On the other hand, with all the mess going on, I think putting it out of its misery is the best solution. So to be fair, whatever decision Archie does, I hope it's the right thing since it's most likely cancelled for good.

« Reply #746 on: May 07, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Oh I can expect a positive outcome that all will be fine, but not under Archie's hand. They got enough blood stains on their hands right now.

« Reply #747 on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
What can I cite exactly to show that sonic 291 is cancelled? I want to have concrete evidence to help me get my money back.

« Reply #748 on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
UGH! OH! They couldn't have waited for the next Eclipse arc could they?! No! Now my thirst for knowledge and drama will go un-quenched!

Curse thee Penders and Fulop! Curse thee!

And bless any other company that picks the comic up from Archie.

Or maybe SEGA will just trash the whole thing...

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #749 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
What can I cite exactly to show that sonic 291 is cancelled? I want to have concrete evidence to help me get my money back.
Here. Specifically, the 5/2017 doc lists 291 as a 4. The key on the page I linked identifies that as "Cancelled by Publisher". Let us know how that turns out.