20/10/17 - 11:16 AM

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog Online #248 Cover & Solicit  (Read 4129 times)

Offline The Shadow Imperator

Sonic the Hedgehog Online #248 Cover & Solicit
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ONLINE #248

You've waited long enough! At long last, the Original Sonic Comic Universe returns to form in "At All Costs Part Two: Destiny Rewritten!" Sonic and friends have scored a narrow victory over Mecha Sally, but now they need to escape the Death Egg in one piece! Along the way, they come across what may be the only hope of restoring the princess to normal—and something much deadlier! Meanwhile, Team Freedom must defend New Mobotropolis from the monstrous Tails Doll, lest the city face total destruction! Featuring epic cover art from equally-epic ASO artist NinjaHaku21!

Script: QuantumEdge, TuxKnux and SonicWindAttack
Story Outline: GentlemanX
Art: Drawloverlala, Finitevus, faceclams, elisonic12, Artist-Block, Rik and FritzyBeat
Cover Art: NinjaHaku21, elisonic12 and EnigmaMachine
StH-O Logo: DoNotDelete
Editors: The Shadow Imperator and TuxKnux
Art Editor: Tim “J” Campbell

(Credits are not final and are subject to change)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:48:50 PM by The Shadow Imperator »

Offline darkpit06

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Online #248 Cover & Solicit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
O HAI EMERL! (Great cover, by the way.)
That guy who enjoys Sonic and Star Wars. Longs for a grand adventure, and a hearty crew.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
Looks proff :D
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
Eh. It's nicely drawn, I'll give it that. But there's something off about the cover's layout that just doesn't entice me.

It looks like a larger image that was zoomed in to fit the size of a standard cover. And it feels kinda empty as well.

Offline GeoffreyStJohn

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:57:52 PM »
While it's certainly exciting to see this project start to really get in gear, I'd like to offer some constructive criticism for the cover artist(s?).

The main issue I have with the art is that it's composed much like a comic panel - with room for speech bubbles - as opposed to a comic cover. The large amounts of negative space to the upper-left and the lower-right (albeit less so here) isn't quite filled in enough, making the action - clearly what this cover is trying to convey - seem distant and less dramatic. Tails' plane and Silver with Sally, while more effective at filling the space than Metal Sonic alone, could perhaps have been closer to both fill in the space and imply that they are involved in the battle as well. Even if this is not true, I feel that as Sonic the Hedgehog is first and foremost an action comic, a greater sense of action would be ideal to make a stronger cover.

Looking through the comic's history of covers, it's easy to draw parallels. In my opinion one of the weakest covers, Sonic the Hedgehog #35, there's a huge amount of negative space which, while appropriate for the story, makes the cover unexciting and not really very interesting. The lines are used to guide the eye towards Sonic, but given that him (and the Ancient Walkers) are the only two elements on the cover, there's not much reason for the eye to linger.

The cover for 248 is far stronger than 35, purely for the action that clues passersby into the story if not also the objectively better art. But compositionally, the negative space detracts from the covers. Let's compare this to Sonic the Hedgehog #238's art. As in 248, Sonic is battling a robot. Both 238 and 248 have strong action poses, which are great, but 238 fills in the background - even directly behind the central characters! - with other action. It's very clear from this cover that this is an intense battle. Tails and Amy also beating up Drago and Eggman shows that Mecha Sally is able to put up more of a fight too. This is one action-packed cover that may not be telling as many individual stories as 248, but it's certainly demonstrating an attention to action composition.

In conclusion, the cover is far from bad! But the negative space does detract from the action. In the future, closer attention paid to the composition might help for a more dynamic, engaging cover.

After all that, I'd like to compliment the brilliant colours and great logo. It's awesome stuff!

Offline Skye

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »
Welp, that's me hyped!  Really like the cover.  I actually think the more simplistic design focusing on Sonic is good for a 'Sonic Reboot' cover.
"You want to know how to write a good story? You take a group of interesting, likable, wonderful characters. And you turn their lives into Hell on Earth."
Chris Claremont

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »
Terrific, just plain terrific.  The lighting, the colouring, everything.  Man, I'm so nervous about what the reaction's going to be when it's released :P

Offline Tsurugi

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Awesome cover, great work so far guys  8)
Looking forward to reading it ^-^
This world is made of LOVE & PEACE :D !!- Vash The Stampede

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
It looks like a larger image that was zoomed in to fit the size of a standard cover. And it feels kinda empty as well.

The main issue I have with the art is that it's composed much like a comic panel - with room for speech bubbles - as opposed to a comic cover. The large amounts of negative space to the upper-left and the lower-right (albeit less so here) isn't quite filled in enough, making the action - clearly what this cover is trying to convey - seem distant and less dramatic.

I think we get so used to seeing a branding block (i.e. the Archie Action!/SEGA thing in the top corner) along with a barcode block, that a cover artwork without them looks off-balanced. They have become a kind of expected part of cover art language though - they act as visual 'anchors' of sorts - our brain expects them to be there to help us make sense of what we're looking at, for them to not be there causes a kind of 'error flag' to pop up in our brains.

It is possible to simulate (or parody) those things, but really it's kinda pointless. We would have to come up with some kind of imaginary brand to credit the comic to - and the barcode block would be equally devoid of significance. I mean you could possibly hide in-jokes, 'Easter Eggs' or possibly even the all-seeing-eye in the barcode block? Idk?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:25:05 PM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »
SO COOL!!! Great job everyone! I'm so excited to see the finished project! Keep up the good work!!

Offline Capt. Metallix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
I may have been silent here for a long time, but...

THIS LOOKS AWESOME! I never would've expected to see Emerl enter the fray, especially so soon. I'm very interested to see what you're planning for him. I'm also curious to see what Eggman will be up to, since his multiversal plans never existed in this continuity.

I like the new title logo. Was the 'ONLINE' font based partially on Sonic 06's title font?

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »
Really it's just an italicised font that I thought looked sympathetic/complimentary to the other fonts present.

This was actually a difficult logo design for me - the guys here were very specific about what they wanted - but it's not easy to take an existing logo and add another word to it and get it to look right. The fonts, colours and shapes all have to have some kind of harmony with one another - but also stand apart. By that I mean the 'ONLINE' part has to fit in with the older parts of the logo taken from the Archie Sonic continuity - but it also has to stand apart and make it clear to us that this isn't the same (official) Archie Sonic we know. For that to work you have to think about the spacing between both words and individual letters (kerning), the shapes the words themselves make, outlines/pinlines, also the interplay of colour and how that can set words apart from one another.

Normally when I design logos I fall back on using large shapes and areas of black or white. This kind of text-only logo is outside of what I would normally design - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It did get a bit frustrating at times though.

I should really get to uploading all the page-by-page work I put into this. I think when people see the final version of a logo they take it at face value as something that 'just happened' and they don't realise all the trial and error that went into making it. I still need to get around to doing that for the 'MOBIUS LEGENDS' logo too (the design process for that logo was a bit more what I'm used to but that logo also had its share of trial and error).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:54:38 AM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline Skye

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:20:53 AM »
Seeing the different stages of the logo development is something I'd like to see.
"You want to know how to write a good story? You take a group of interesting, likable, wonderful characters. And you turn their lives into Hell on Earth."
Chris Claremont

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
I may guess that Archie Sonic Online #248 will come out between July and a few months, I presume?

Offline Tsurugi

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
I may guess that Archie Sonic Online #248 will come out between July and a few months, I presume?
I believe they said in Tumblr tag that it will be out after Mobius Legends 3, so when that's done we'll get it.
This world is made of LOVE & PEACE :D !!- Vash The Stampede

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney