20/10/17 - 11:19 AM

Author Topic: Dr. Z Letterer Tryout  (Read 352 times)

Offline Dr. Z

Dr. Z Letterer Tryout
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »
It is I, Dr. Z, returning to try for a different position. I still really want to help, even if my ideal position is unavailable. So I'm going to show my ability as a letterer, what I can do as one, and see if that's good enough for this project. Here it is.

I'd like to thank Ian PK for helping me with this, as well as supplying the pages and scripts.

If you need to see anything else I can do, or another page, let me know and I will add it.
Your name here.

Offline DoNotDelete

Re: Dr. Z Letterer Tryout
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »
The shape and variation of the bubbles is generally good. However - compared to the first page - the font size on the second page is noticeably smaller - as is the lining on the outside of the speech bubbles. In a sequential comic each page must be consistent with the previous page - that means font size, font style, bubble style, etc.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's a page from a different comic. Oops.

However, the complaint about the size of the font and the lining of the speech bubbles is still relevant; Given, there is a lot of text on that second page, but that's the challenge. Can you make all that text fit the page - and look good - using the same parameters from the first?

For the 'Don't Forget' title block you should try to really push the boat out and show me what you can do in terms of word art. All you've done there is taken a standard font and put a border around it. Can you do more to make that text stand out?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:47:11 AM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline Dr. Z

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
I see what your saying. And an working on fixing it.
Can you make all that text fit the page - and look good - using the same parameters from the first?

I've scaled up the text and bubbles to be like the first page, but in most on the panels, it's too big now. I probably will have to scale it down at least a little, but I'll try to find a balance.

After that, I'll fix the title. Thanks for the feedback.
Your name here.

Offline Dr. Z

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
Alright, I tried to fix them given your requests. Here they are.

Your name here.

Offline TuxKnux

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:42:12 AM »
I'm afraid neither the lettering nor its subsequent revision shows the skill (or the ability to improve) that we're looking for. It's not bad, but not great, either.
Thanks for trying out, though.
"You can't mess with Big the Cat anymore."--IGN