20/11/17 - 15:15 PM

Author Topic: Best and worst milestone issues  (Read 640 times)

Offline Vampfox

Best and worst milestone issues
« on: August 12, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Now that the comic's sadly over I thought I'd make a topic about the milestone issues. Which milestones were the best? Which were considered the worst?

My picks for best and worst Archie Sonic milestones.
Best: Issue 125.
I really like this milestone. I mean sure the Xorda are kind of dumb, and have bland terrible designs, but at the same time I like that they are so powerful that everyone on the planet has to put aside their differences and work together.

Worst: Issue 150.
This story really sums up the comic's dark age.
Having Sonic be replaced by Evil Sonic, and having Evil Sonic hitting on all the main female characters is not what Sonic fans want to see.
Plus the back up story give us Titan Tails.

Offline Skye

Re: Best and worst milestone issues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Best for me without question is 175.  Eggman comes within a hairs breadth of winning, and the status quo we've come to know is literally burned to the ground.  It shows how to a certain extent Eggman was toying with the Freedom Fighters.  Plus, I love the cover!

Worst... I have to admit Vampfox, I was thinking of saying 125.  For me, the Xorda just don't work.  They're just too generic and dull.  Plus, stupid.  But, to be honest there is nothing fundamentally wrong with 125.  And a lot of my dislike is due to the Space arc that follows. 

But in the end, I can't decide between 250 and 275.  Because, no matter how bad the others were, they had some large event or plot occurrence happen.  These two just land in the middle of the cross-overs and are just, well, normal issues.  Nothing special aside from the number in their corners.
"You want to know how to write a good story? You take a group of interesting, likable, wonderful characters. And you turn their lives into Hell on Earth."
Chris Claremont

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
Without a question of doubt, Sonic #200 for me was the best milestone. I just really loved everything about that particular issue with how the Sonic and Eggman fight went down, it's just awesome.

As for the worst, Sonic #150. Do I even need to explain why this issue is particularly bad? It's literally composed of all the things that you don't read a Sonic comic for. And Titan Tails. That was just... nah.
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

Offline Dr. Z

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »
The best, I'd say 200. That felt like a proper climactic battle against Eggman, as opposed to what they did in 50.

Worst would probably be either 100 or 15o, since neither of those really shouted, "Big and important", they just felt run of the mill
Your name here.

Offline Zack

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:33 AM »
Seems like we're all in agreement that 150 was the worst milestone issue. 100 was pretty weak too.

I like the early ones: 25 and 50 are both pretty great. 200 is also very good.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »
Best 175 and 200, its a tie between them. AMazing art, some emotional scenes, decent build up and both contained some pretty awesome interaction between Sonic and Eggman.

Wordt: 150
The cover looks so boring but if that was the only problem but nope that is the least of the problems here..
Just this didn't seem like a milestone issue at all it had uncomfortable scenes of not-Sonic (evil Sonic ) flirting with all the girls, and while the artist is skilled (he worked on SATAm after all) the outdated Satam Art style just didnt match up at all with the newer designs of the characters. It was just bad story, and mediocre art overall and who could forget part 2 of the Chosen One Story with the floating Athair head and Sonic not doing much of anything and the  Introduction of Titan Tails a

NEVER FORGET

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
I'd consider 100 the worst milestone issue. It didn't feel like a milestone at all, and it had horrible art and a not very good story; the mid-crossover milestones might not have been special, but at least they had good art and writing.

Best is a tough one. My first impulse is to say 50 as it was epic and featured the original Robotnik being beaten once and for all. However, Sonic and the FF weren't really responsible for Robotnik's defeat/death, the switching between tons of artists was disorientating, and the version of it I like best was the Super Special revision which technically wasn't a milestone issue...

Unfortunately, most of the issues between 100 and 252 I've only read once, so it's hard for me to judge them. I did enjoy 200 and 225, but sticking to issues I remember well I guess I'd have to go with 75 which was epic and featured the art of Steve Butler at his best.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
Best: 225, in my opinion this issue has some of the comics best writing and Sally's best death (if it was not done at least twice in the past),

Worst: 150, what's special about this issue again? It feels like it's for crazy Sonic shippers, apparently it was Mr Penders starting to "fix" Mr Bollers stupid ideas, like breaking up Sonic and Sally.... I know what your thinking

Most disappointing: 100, to be fair, it is SA2's fault, but it's not even a good issue, yes 150 is worse, but at least that issue wasn't building up hype for a year, that being said, the real 100 might not have been worth the hype (Chaos knuckles as an ultimate villian and Nate is roboticized)

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Since I'm seeing a lot of folks against it, I'll go ahead and defend 100 for a moment (not my favorite milestone - but I loved reading it years later). What "Reunion" does really well is deliver a nice mix of action and drama with what seems like real consequences for the events of the story. The fight with Kodos is engaging and allows the Freedom Fighters to each get a crack at him, with Uma's death establishing early on that established characters aren't going to be safe this time. The moment with Sally coming out with the Sword of Acorns is also cool even if someone like Spaz could have portrayed it in a more epic manner. Meanwhile the undercurrent of the story focuses on what's been building up for Nate Morgan and the Eggman/Overlander plot for awhile. Nate's given multiple opportunities to back out but refuses to abandon the people. It's a noble sacrifice for the character that I thought was a great send off.

Admittedly the Knuckles story is... not as impressive. But there are moments here and there (such as Tobor and Kragok) and the final image of Knuckles joining the Dark Legion is good in theory. I just wish all of the Knuckles back ups had been drawn by Butler; I'd probably have been much happy with the Chaos Knuckles Arc had that been the case.

But yeah. Artwork aside (and yes, I realize that's probably one of the main reasons the issue would be considered a failure), I really liked the story. My least favorite would probably be 150, but 275 wasn't much better in my opinion. As for favorite... I couldn't tell ya! Off hand, I love 50, 175, 200, 225, and 250 a ton so I'm not sure which one would win it out for me.