26/06/19 - 11:11 AM

Author Topic: Forum Closing 6-1-19  (Read 1360 times)

Offline GentlemanX

Forum Closing 6-1-19
« on: April 21, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
All things come to an end. As you may have noticed, we've been closing topics that have been without new content more and more over the last few months. This has been in preparation for the now total closing of the Archie Sonic Online forums. There will be another round of topic closings next month, followed by a closing of all non-project topics in June. The forum will be officially taken down in July. We're giving anyone here that still uses the forums this time to back up any content you want to. There will be a dump of the data made just to be completely safe, but if anyone has information they particularly want to have on hand, make sure you do so. Certain features on our forums, such as the chronology topic and the data files, will be integrated onto pages on our website going forward.

As a former member of Bumbleking myself, it was nice to have a source of discussion regarding Sonic related material. But the forum has largely become quiet, and we no longer see a need to keep it around for nostalgia's sake. If anyone wants to continue to discuss ASO and any other Sonic related content, we invite you to join our public discord channel here. If there's anything else you can think of that you want to have kept, such as the aforementioned data files and chronology chart, please let us know here so we can consider it. All other questions are also welcome. To get one out of the way just in case - the website and the comic aren't going anywhere, this is just the forum.

Thank you very much for your patronage here over the years. We hope you stick with us as ASO moves forward.

Re: Forum Closing 6-1-19
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
Well it's a fun ride.

RIP

F

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »
Why wait til June? ???

Offline Yidhra

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
 :'(
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft

Offline SBR

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
Well it's sad to hear but can't say I'm surprised. This forum is scary dead. Like I'm shocked how little activity it really has.
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
But will the Archie Sonic Online site still go on with issues yet to come even if the forums are no more?

Offline Skye

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »
To get one out of the way just in case - the website and the comic aren't going anywhere, this is just the forum.

"You want to know how to write a good story? You take a group of interesting, likable, wonderful characters. And you turn their lives into Hell on Earth."
Chris Claremont

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
This and bumbleking gave an obsessed dork like me people to talk to. I won't soon forget the feeling that finally there were people I could relate to. That I wasn't alone. I've largely moved on from Sonic, but the debt I owe to the series' fans for the feeling of belonging they provided a few years ago cannot be understated. Sonic's fanbase gets a bad rep, and it's largely warranted, but this place was great.

Peace out, y'all.
"Ya know Amy, anytime someone calls attention to the breaking of gender roles, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is an exception and not the status quo." -God

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Am I to assume that feedback for the latest online issues will be strictly from E-mails once the forum is down?

Offline Skye

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
There is a Discord Server with a dedicated channel about ASO discussions.
"You want to know how to write a good story? You take a group of interesting, likable, wonderful characters. And you turn their lives into Hell on Earth."
Chris Claremont

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
There’s also been talk of a comments section for each issue—but we’ll see if that works out.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »
Comments would be a good idea. Not everyone uses Discord (or wants to sign up for yet another username/password in order to start).

I'm just sad that forums in general tend to be dying off in favor of social networks and Discord. They're not the same thing, really. I'm not aware of any social platform that has the same grop-discussion dynamic as a forum.

And, of course, I'm disappointed about this forum in particular closing. This was my refuge when BumbleKing closed. There are other Sonic forums out there but they don't have the same culture; this was the closest fit I could find and a lot of former BK members were here (though many have moved on now).

Not sure what's next for me, but thanks, everyone, for the memories.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Offline The Shadow Imperator

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:18:11 PM »
Darn, I guess my dream of reaching 100 days online will never come to pass.

f

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »
Darn, I guess my dream of reaching 100 days online will never come to pass.

f

oh christ why am I on there

well, I've changed a lot since I first joined this forum. A lot of hours wasted arguing about stupid Sonic comics, but I made some nice friends along the way.

F
VERY COOL™

Offline Kelli

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
Comments would be a good idea. Not everyone uses Discord (or wants to sign up for yet another username/password in order to start).

I'm just sad that forums in general tend to be dying off in favor of social networks and Discord. They're not the same thing, really. I'm not aware of any social platform that has the same grop-discussion dynamic as a forum.

And, of course, I'm disappointed about this forum in particular closing. This was my refuge when BumbleKing closed. There are other Sonic forums out there but they don't have the same culture; this was the closest fit I could find and a lot of former BK members were here (though many have moved on now).

Not sure what's next for me, but thanks, everyone, for the memories.

Social networks and discord works better with mobile then forums.
Most people are online on their phone not their deskop computer anymore,