21/06/18 - 09:24 AM

Author Topic: Ideas and Concepts  (Read 39543 times)

Re: Ideas and Concepts
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
You know, if  LHT takes awhile and we want to work on a bigger project to show off what we can do, one thing we can do that won't have much affect on continuity is the Archie adaptation of Sonic 06. Since it resets itself afterwards, we don't have to worry about messing with anything that Ian has planned. I've already been toying aorund in my head how the story would go, at least setting up the "why" and "how" things get going to Sonic 06's plotline from issue 173 (the approximate time it would have happened had it actually happened in the comic)

Offline darkpit06

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 07:01:17 AM »
You know, if  LHT takes awhile and we want to work on a bigger project to show off what we can do, one thing we can do that won't have much affect on continuity is the Archie adaptation of Sonic 06. Since it resets itself afterwards, we don't have to worry about messing with anything that Ian has planned. I've already been toying aorund in my head how the story would go, at least setting up the "why" and "how" things get going to Sonic 06's plotline from issue 173 (the approximate time it would have happened had it actually happened in the comic)
If such an installment happens, I hope that we see characters from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave appear, as well as give Elise a lot more personality- or transform her into an animal!
That guy who enjoys Sonic and Star Wars. Longs for a grand adventure, and a hearty crew.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 08:19:24 AM »
If such an installment happens, I hope that we see characters from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave appear, as well as give Elise a lot more personality- or transform her into an animal!
My current ideas include the Freedom Fighters, much like the Sonic Adventure Adaptation. As for Elise being an animal, that's a no-go, as the Encyclopedia already showed off what she looks like

Not Jon Gray's best work, but she's most likely human (as she is of a royal family that's part of the United Federation, thus Soleanna is a Hidden City of the Ancients.)

Speaking of Humans/Overlanders, can we make sure that overlander characters like Snively and Hope have four fingers for lore sake?

Offline faceclams

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
Ugh, the whole Overlander/Human thing was a confused mess and I'd rather see it never brought up again even for the sake of "lore". It was an art consistency error in the first place.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
I propose an alternate interpration: Humans are the much more realistic looking humans
while overlanders are much more "anime" and "cartoon."

Abraham Tower's heterochromia could be his "Overlander" trait. Snively's is obviously his short stature. Regina has green hair, etc.

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
I also heard rumors about Mephiles and Black Doom being the main antagonists in the Shadow Fall arc, instead of Eclipse and Black Death. That would've been interesting to see as well.
"C'mon, step it up!" -Sonic, SSBB

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »
I also heard rumors about Mephiles and Black Doom being the main antagonists in the Shadow Fall arc, instead of Eclipse and Black Death. That would've been interesting to see as well.
Today's Bumblekast goes into detail about that. He originally pitched the story as Mephiles escaping his destruction and using time shenanigans to blink Black Doom back into existence for some goold old-fashioned revenge. SEGA stamped a big "no" on that idea as soon as they said "Mephiles." It was basically shot down at the pitch stage, so there are no other details to show. The basic premise would have been the same, except the characters we got would have been replaced by other villains. Ian says he's actually glad it happend, because Eclipsed turned out to be much more interesting.

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »

That would be interesting! And I got a few ideas if you're interested.

My current ideas include the Freedom Fighters, much like the Sonic Adventure Adaptation.

Ooh...  I don't think that's a good source to take inspiration from.  :(

I mean, the Freedom Fighters were basically pointless additions in the SA1 adaption (they just stood on the sidelines, reminding the reader that they still existed), so comparing their roles in an 06 adaption to that seems kinda insulting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:12:05 AM by LogiTeeka »

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
If we do, I really want a chance to write for Mephiles, as I find him to be a very poor villain and want to interpret him a bit different, something I feel would be stronger.

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
If we do, I really want a chance to write for Mephiles, as I find him to be a very poor villain and want to interpret him a bit different, something I feel would be stronger.

Is that so? What exactly do you have in mind for him?
"C'mon, step it up!" -Sonic, SSBB

Singapore Sling

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Is this revamped 06 gonna make me cry, guys?

The game said I'm not supposed to do that.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
I mentioned this before, but I believe only in the contributor board (which is only accessible by contributors) but Mephiles main problems lie in:
- He's just a mouthless greenish blue-striped Shadow, by design.
- His backstory is rather convoluted
- He's way too powerful, so much so that his plan doesn't make sense. People often wonder why he doesn't pew Sonic from the start
- He generally lacks a personality. He's evil and.... he's evil.

So, I feel we can solve this in a few ways. Some guys felt some of the ideas were pretty good, and I know my own ideas can always be enhanced by other opinions as well:

- With Mephiles, we know his original form is a shadowy dust thingy majigger. We know he chose to emulate Shadow because Sonic Team is lazy and likes puns Mephiles wanted to mimic his form. I guess. I think it would be better if we ditched that. I mean, honestly, it really didn't add anything to the narrative. I don't recall anybody even bringing up the fact Mephiles looked like Shadow. If not, it's really funny that people don't get confused that Mephiles legit looks like Shadow, yet everyone gets confused with Sonic and Shadow.

Rather, let's have Mephiles take many characters forms. He needs to. It starts off being VERY imperfect, he misses important features, like eyes, noses, mouth, skin color and has to use the cover of the night to trick people. Why does he need to trick people? To get their guard down. He strikes when they least expect it and then aborbs their power. Now, this part is a little iffy, I don't want to imply death, but it's not like we haven't touched on this type of subject before in a certain comic... .

As he gains more power, striking down weaker characters to stronger ones, his transformations get better and better. He's able to, more convincingly, take forms. Yes, even to the point where he gets to the Mephiles we know now. But there does come a time where he's almost able to perfectly emulate another person.

Also, as he gains more power, his mind also deteriorates a bit, he's still clever, but obviously insane. I'd like to enhance his personality so he's a bit flamboyant and theatrics. I often see a lot of Mephiles' animations, his poses, where he'd walk and get into people's faces and turn rather... interestingly.  He'd also bow. But his voice performance didn't really fit that nature.

I do take a lot of points from 06, with stuff I seen, but I really want to enhance the strong points, remove the weak points, and give Mephiles motivation. He has to trick because he's weak and cowardly, but he does get stronger. He works for his power, and the power takes over his mind.

OF COURSE, this also really depends of what all was in the old 06 bits. I don't know HOW MUCH of 06 was adapted in the encyclopedia, hopefully information was vague or general.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:55:59 PM by WittyUsername »

Singapore Sling

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Part of me really wants to contribute to this because I have really, really strong feelings on 06. But I also wonder if I'd just be too fanboy biased, though I like to think I'd be objective enough to make my point. I do, after all, actually think 06 is not that well written, as much as I love it.

Most of my post would be about why I think the entire 06 rewrite discussion is completely off base in terms of its focus and purpose, though. If people are open to hearing that from an 06 fanboy, I'll fire away, but I'll respect the fact if people would rather keep me out of it.

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
Hell, I'm entirely changing the premise of 06's main antagonist, if that's not daring, and probably extremely controversial, I don't know why your opinion should be shot down. People may disagree, people may bring up why they disagree or even speak about how 06 was rushed and probably was off base of its original intention, itself (we can even see some of that in the final product -- the Scepter was a Book, at a time) but I don't think you'd be wrong for doing so.

Though, do keep in mind that ASO's possible 06 rewrite would naturally have to be different as it's a different world, different universe, different laws. We could just leave 06 as is, otherwise.  Depending on how much of Prime went into this 06, we could have Robotnik Dark or Robotnik Prime, either one wouldn't be as... gentlemanly with Elise as 06, for instance, and likely wouldn't just kidnap, and instead, outright bomb Soleanna.

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
If we want to actually work on this, I'm actually working on a basic treatment for an 06 adaptation. It starts where 173 ends off and the basic idea was that instead of attacking Knothole, Eggman decided to invade Soleanna with the Egg Fleet (also it involves Time stones instead of Chaos emeralds, because the Emeralds are tied up at this point in the story). Should we have a thread for the 06 story development?