22/07/17 - 03:56 AM

Author Topic: The Lara-Su Chronicles Discussion Thread  (Read 22759 times)

Re: The Lara-Su Chronicles Discussion Thread
« Reply #405 on: July 16, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
The first time I believe the Antoine/Bunnie relationship was first hinted at was in STH 23 with "The Vol-Ant-Teer" written by Angelo DeCesare.

So Penders is claiming to have created a popular pairing, despite him earlier dismissing Angelo DeCesare's stories as "furry soap operas".

I'm at a loss for words... :(

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #406 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
When did Penders comment on DeCesare's work?

« Reply #407 on: July 16, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
I recall reading it on his Twitter account.

I might not be remembering the exact words correctly, but it was something like that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:33:25 PM by LogiTeeka »

Offline Mobotropolis

« Reply #408 on: July 16, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Bunnie showed some interest in Antoine (and Sonic, and possibly Rotor) in her debut story; Rabbot Deployment!

That was a Gallagher story.

Rather than kill off a character, I decided to see what I could do to make readers care about the character.

^ The guy who tried to kill off the Female Lead

This might be better suited for Unpopular Opinions, but I think that putting Antoine and Bunnie together was the worse move to make for both of their characters. Why? Because outside of the white unicorn of a storyline it was no longer about either character individually when it came to development, but them as a collective unit. It stunted their growth and closed many windows of opportunity when it came to developing their characters as individuals.

- and were mad at King Acorn for wanting to fix Sally up with Antoine

I don't think hooking a character up with one character over another is something to be particularly proud of as a writer.

Antoine seemed to have many of the same struggles that Rotor had over the course of the book; they were characters without purpose once the world developed around him. Antoine was originally a mix between comic relief and a " romantic rival " to Sonic for Sally's hand. As the book became more serious the couples more established he lost even that.

Just like Rotor, Antoine's written role in the Freedom Fighters was supplanted by the development of a character that could not be ignored for narrative and mandate reasons; Amy. Amy was the better melee fighter with a weapon. Amy was the better romantic rival to Sonic's heart. Amy could be played for comic relief when the book took a softer and lighter turn under Ian's pen.

I think Karl and Ian were more successful in trying to define new roles for Antoine than Ken was. Karl seemed to be trying to set him up as a more competent solider and assistant to the royal family which seems to be a role suiting of him. Ian struggled for a while, but I really liked him in the issues leading up to his near-death pre-reboot as a defender to the Kingdom and ouster to corruption. Too bad that side of Antoine didn't really carry over into the post-reboot.

« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:36 AM »
I think Karl and Ian were more successful in trying to define new roles for Antoine than Ken was. Karl seemed to be trying to set him up as a more competent solider and assistant to the royal family which seems to be a role suiting of him. Ian struggled for a while, but I really liked him in the issues leading up to his near-death pre-reboot as a defender to the Kingdom and ouster to corruption. Too bad that side of Antoine didn't really carry over into the post-reboot.

I'm pretty sure the characterization was meant to be carried over into the reboot. We just never got the chance to see it fleshed out further.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure the characterization was meant to be carried over into the reboot. We just never got the chance to see it fleshed out further.

This and I personally dont buy that Ken wanted to get rid of Antonine in order to please the readers, lets not forget he wanted to get rid of Sally for various reason
-Her role was no longer needed with King Max and Prince Elias
-She made Sonic look uncool.
-Ken regarded her as not popular due to the low sales of her short mini series. (which goes against his idea to get rid of Antoinie because he lacked popularity. )

Both Ken and Karl suffered from a huge petfavortism in their writing work, with Ken it was obvious the echidna characters and with Karl it was Mina Mongoose.
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline Mobotropolis

« Reply #411 on: July 17, 2017, 06:07:32 AM »
All of the writers had their pets, even Ian. Ian was better than Ken and Karl at maintaining balance, however. It probably helped that Ian had Sonic Universe as a secondary book relatively early in his run where he could devote time to the characters he liked without pushing primary characters out of focus to make space for them in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ken obviously had the echindas but he also had some others. Geoffrey St. John seemed to be created to fill Antoine's primary role as a suitor for Sally, rival for Sonic, and eventual liaison for the King, incidentally enough. There was also Prince Elias who seemed to be created/designed to make Sally less significant in the grand scheme of things.

They were both characters who were replacements for characters who were (in his eyes) unpopular and lacking a defined role.

Funny that.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:37 AM »
All of the writers had their pets, even Ian. Ian was better than Ken and Karl at maintaining balance, however. It probably helped that Ian had Sonic Universe as a secondary book relatively early in his run where he could devote time to the characters he liked without pushing primary characters out of focus to make space for them in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ken obviously had the echindas but he also had some others. Geoffrey St. John seemed to be created to fill Antoine's primary role as a suitor for Sally, rival for Sonic, and eventual liaison for the King, incidentally enough. There was also Prince Elias who seemed to be created/designed to make Sally less significant in the grand scheme of things.

They were both characters who were replacements for characters who were (in his eyes) unpopular and lacking a defined role.

Funny that.

Thats true but like you said Ian had balance. We barrely saw anything or learned anything about Amy Rose until Ian started  working on the book. Before that neither Ken or Karl cared a inch for the Sega-game characters.
and honestly both Sally and Antoine would be fine within their roles if Ken didn't decide to make characters to fulfill them.
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »

This is in relation to the tweet concerning the people that have been critical of the Lara-Su Chronicles since its inception. I just want to add my two cents and say that even though I could understand his angle that criticism from pros could be a good thing since they're pros, at the same time, I don't really think that he should dismiss criticism thrown at him just because a lot of people are Sonic fans like us and aren't really comic book professionals in the sense.

It's gonna end up biting him in the butt later on if he's not willing to listen to what others have to say and there have been some that were constructive and gave advice on how Penders can actually improve his work. But alas, due to the kind of person that he is, the criticism is viewed by him as meaningless in his definition of criticism. I can only wish him the best of luck on this project, he's gonna need it if he wants to take this series far.
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #414 on: July 17, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »
I apologize in advance for double posting on the same day, but Penders has tweeted some things regarding LSC's story:

Not a whole lot of info, but it seems like that we will find out how the characters shown in the print relate to each other and the introduction of a new villain.
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

« Reply #415 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »

Well, of course they're all related. Anyone can tell that they're all the same freaky-looking species.

Offline GentlemanX

« Reply #416 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:08 PM »
There is the human.

« Reply #417 on: July 17, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »
There is the human.

I've seen several people theorizing that he and Lara-Su are gonna get together, and that Xero's their son from the future.
Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.

« Reply #418 on: July 17, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I expected much in the way of great things from TL-SC at this point, but I'd be interested in seeing the end result come together. I don't expect it to be good, but after everything that's happened, I'd like to admire the oncoming train crash myself.

« Reply #419 on: July 18, 2017, 12:37:43 AM »
Well, of course they're all related. Anyone can tell that they're all the same freaky-looking species.
There is the human.

If that drawing is meant to be a portrait, then that must be a...

SCENE INTERRUPTING MAN!!!