23/09/18 - 18:52 PM

Author Topic: Post Sonic Boom Season 2 Episode Ideas  (Read 8918 times)

Offline GreenBlade64

Re: Post Sonic Boom Season 2 Episode Ideas
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
And I stated mine.

I am happy we've both established how opinions work.

As am I. Your welcome.
"C'mon, step it up!" -Sonic, SSBB

Singapore Sling

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »
So I have this theory.

There's this thing I notice where it seems like the presence of comedy that refuses to actually dip into drama is perceived as having less depth than its dramatic counterpart. That the presence of drama is automatically makes it more thoughtful than a comedic scene. Because for whatever reason, fans exist under dichotomies: they "know" comedy is not as "deep" as drama, so they're not going to really give a comedy as much thought as a drama, just inherently. Which...of course, is ridiculous. Harold and Maude is one of my favorite movies, and the tragic end of its romance is portrayed entirely for laughs while still being emotionally and thematically potent. For an example most of you will probably be more familiar with (and will probably shock you, since I always get this reaction when I argue this), I happen to think, and would argue without hesitation, that the Teen Titans Go cast are actually much more in-depth and fleshed out characters than their Glen Murakami counterparts...and I LOVE the Glen Murakami show.

Sonic Adventure 2 is really amazing when you break it down. The game really does get by ENTIRELY on personality, because none of it really coheres on a basic level. The game divides its characters between two distinct ideologies but never actually commits on any level of ideological discourse, debate, or actual discussion. The game noticeably divides the characters between HERO and DARK, rather than HERO and VILLAIN (or, perhaps, hero and EVIL, if they needed to keep the words the same length). So right away, you know one side is unambiguously heroic and clear cut in its morals, but the other side is more ambiguous. For those of you keeping track at home, "unambiguity" and "ambiguity" isn't really much of a meaningful dichotomy as much as it's a pretty blatant, artificial way to make one side inherently more interesting than the other. Even from the very first second, the game has absolutely no interest in presenting any sort of shade or depth to its own protagonist's side of the story, nor does the game even take the eye rolling route to somehow deconstruct or break down the ideals of its hero. It lazily chooses for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to just exist, divorced from the themes and message of the story while having their relevancy constantly downplayed by the structure of the script. It IS interesting to note that Shadow's change of heart occurs thanks to the one hero you can't actually play as.

Shadow's backstory has nothing to really do with anything, on top of it being pretty by the numbers. Shadow's story doesn't actually RAISE the questions it talks about or tries to decipher solution and meaning. Shadow's ideologies don't even really change, odd given his entire thing is moral ambiguity, as much as he realizes he misremembers Maria and thus has to do the other thing he was ACTUALLY supposed to do. It also doesn't exist to actually raise any questions or challenges for Sonic to overcome. I suppose you could argue Shadow's fixation on backstory makes him an appropriate foil to the blue blur who has no backstory...but that contrast of backstory doesn't exist to tell an interesting new angle on the character WHOSE NAME IS ON THE GAME BOX. It just exists for Shadow for Shadow's own sake, discussing themes and concepts that have never been, nor will ever be again, relevant to the Sonic storyline.

The Sonic games are almost abstract in their ability to completely disregard any and every conventional rule on storytelling structure while simultaneously presenting itself as a standard, conventional action-adventure story that lives or dies by said conventional story structure. The games are abstract and inane in their prioritizing of plot points without ever noticing it's being that abstract, in the same way Dragonball GT's plot points are all really unsubtle theses on why Dragonball Z's storytelling sensibilities don't make any sense but still carries those concepts like normal Z plots. The story becomes about Shadow, but there's nothing actually about Shadow that's relevant to the ideas that Sonic's insistence on narrative had established. Shadow's heap and heap of backstory is really hollow and superfluous just because it...doesn't really add to much of anything. Shadow discovers himself, sure, and that's something, but it's an overglorified b-plot meant to supplement some wider story that doesn't actually exist. Shadow's backstory adds NOTHING to ANYONE, and is the Pontac and Graff version of a drama story: nothing resembling any real logic, internal, practical, thematic, or otherwise, for being there and is just there because they wanted it there and because he was popular.

You know why I like Boom Shadow? He's actually relevant to Sonic. Original Shadow isn't relevant to Sonic: he takes the entire story over (to the point where Metal Overlord's identity crisis, believing himself to be Sonic, gets only one truly emotional moment...with Shadow) because his presence was immediately deemed more interesting, even though Sonic was never given a chance to compensate or actually provide a meaningful context to Shadow's (weak and arbitrary) story. Boom Shadow actually feels like the apotheosis of a story being told. Sonic Boom's one major recurring theme is the dangers of hive mentality and how society can drive even someone as inherently altruistic as Sonic can be slowly whittled down further and further into complete apathy. And as much as people whine that he sounds like a typical anime character, I feel like that doesn't really matter if your frame of reference for things DOES extend beyond shonen anime.

If Boom Sonic is apathy, then Shadow is far too much passion. The idea that Sonic has nothing going for him after all the stuff he's done and Shadow having FAR too much investment in their feud makes way more sense than anything else Shadow's ever been in, save for maybe Sonic 06. Hive mentality and insistence on standards that, from Sonic's perspective, are completely arbitrary and in turn Shadow is intensely focused on a singular goal only he still cares about while developing a cult of personality who insist on him for the sake of his own existence. He's an actual appropriate foil to Sonic, the insistence that there HAS to be something greater when Sonic's adventures have taught him he's just, at best, going to settle into a status quo nobody around him's ever really appreciated. Shadow is an actual ideological foil to Sonic. Shadow has an actual point and character built around contributing something to the story around him. He's actually an escalation of the show's arc up to that point.

He's an entertaining antagonist, and a character who has more genuine depth and contribution to his story (as a personification and full realization of the show's commentary on hive minds, cynicism, and et.) than original Shadow, who had a backstory based entirely on making moral, ideological choices and changed said ideology because of a memory rather than any actual decision all his own, utterly destroying the entire premise and closest purpose to his character.

I say this loving Sonic Adventure 2.

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
So I have this theory.

There's this thing I notice where it seems like the presence of comedy that refuses to actually dip into drama is perceived as having less depth than its dramatic counterpart. That the presence of drama is automatically makes it more thoughtful than a comedic scene. Because for whatever reason, fans exist under dichotomies: they "know" comedy is not as "deep" as drama, so they're not going to really give a comedy as much thought as a drama, just inherently. Which...of course, is ridiculous. Harold and Maude is one of my favorite movies, and the tragic end of its romance is portrayed entirely for laughs while still being emotionally and thematically potent. For an example most of you will probably be more familiar with (and will probably shock you, since I always get this reaction when I argue this), I happen to think, and would argue without hesitation, that the Teen Titans Go cast are actually much more in-depth and fleshed out characters than their Glen Murakami counterparts...and I LOVE the Glen Murakami show.

Sonic Adventure 2 is really amazing when you break it down. The game really does get by ENTIRELY on personality, because none of it really coheres on a basic level. The game divides its characters between two distinct ideologies but never actually commits on any level of ideological discourse, debate, or actual discussion. The game noticeably divides the characters between HERO and DARK, rather than HERO and VILLAIN (or, perhaps, hero and EVIL, if they needed to keep the words the same length). So right away, you know one side is unambiguously heroic and clear cut in its morals, but the other side is more ambiguous. For those of you keeping track at home, "unambiguity" and "ambiguity" isn't really much of a meaningful dichotomy as much as it's a pretty blatant, artificial way to make one side inherently more interesting than the other. Even from the very first second, the game has absolutely no interest in presenting any sort of shade or depth to its own protagonist's side of the story, nor does the game even take the eye rolling route to somehow deconstruct or break down the ideals of its hero. It lazily chooses for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to just exist, divorced from the themes and message of the story while having their relevancy constantly downplayed by the structure of the script. It IS interesting to note that Shadow's change of heart occurs thanks to the one hero you can't actually play as.

Shadow's backstory has nothing to really do with anything, on top of it being pretty by the numbers. Shadow's story doesn't actually RAISE the questions it talks about or tries to decipher solution and meaning. Shadow's ideologies don't even really change, odd given his entire thing is moral ambiguity, as much as he realizes he misremembers Maria and thus has to do the other thing he was ACTUALLY supposed to do. It also doesn't exist to actually raise any questions or challenges for Sonic to overcome. I suppose you could argue Shadow's fixation on backstory makes him an appropriate foil to the blue blur who has no backstory...but that contrast of backstory doesn't exist to tell an interesting new angle on the character WHOSE NAME IS ON THE GAME BOX. It just exists for Shadow for Shadow's own sake, discussing themes and concepts that have never been, nor will ever be again, relevant to the Sonic storyline.

The Sonic games are almost abstract in their ability to completely disregard any and every conventional rule on storytelling structure while simultaneously presenting itself as a standard, conventional action-adventure story that lives or dies by said conventional story structure. The games are abstract and inane in their prioritizing of plot points without ever noticing it's being that abstract, in the same way Dragonball GT's plot points are all really unsubtle theses on why Dragonball Z's storytelling sensibilities don't make any sense but still carries those concepts like normal Z plots. The story becomes about Shadow, but there's nothing actually about Shadow that's relevant to the ideas that Sonic's insistence on narrative had established. Shadow's heap and heap of backstory is really hollow and superfluous just because it...doesn't really add to much of anything. Shadow discovers himself, sure, and that's something, but it's an overglorified b-plot meant to supplement some wider story that doesn't actually exist. Shadow's backstory adds NOTHING to ANYONE, and is the Pontac and Graff version of a drama story: nothing resembling any real logic, internal, practical, thematic, or otherwise, for being there and is just there because they wanted it there and because he was popular.

You know why I like Boom Shadow? He's actually relevant to Sonic. Original Shadow isn't relevant to Sonic: he takes the entire story over (to the point where Metal Overlord's identity crisis, believing himself to be Sonic, gets only one truly emotional moment...with Shadow) because his presence was immediately deemed more interesting, even though Sonic was never given a chance to compensate or actually provide a meaningful context to Shadow's (weak and arbitrary) story. Boom Shadow actually feels like the apotheosis of a story being told. Sonic Boom's one major recurring theme is the dangers of hive mentality and how society can drive even someone as inherently altruistic as Sonic can be slowly whittled down further and further into complete apathy. And as much as people whine that he sounds like a typical anime character, I feel like that doesn't really matter if your frame of reference for things DOES extend beyond shonen anime.

If Boom Sonic is apathy, then Shadow is far too much passion. The idea that Sonic has nothing going for him after all the stuff he's done and Shadow having FAR too much investment in their feud makes way more sense than anything else Shadow's ever been in, save for maybe Sonic 06. Hive mentality and insistence on standards that, from Sonic's perspective, are completely arbitrary and in turn Shadow is intensely focused on a singular goal only he still cares about while developing a cult of personality who insist on him for the sake of his own existence. He's an actual appropriate foil to Sonic, the insistence that there HAS to be something greater when Sonic's adventures have taught him he's just, at best, going to settle into a status quo nobody around him's ever really appreciated. Shadow is an actual ideological foil to Sonic. Shadow has an actual point and character built around contributing something to the story around him. He's actually an escalation of the show's arc up to that point.

He's an entertaining antagonist, and a character who has more genuine depth and contribution to his story (as a personification and full realization of the show's commentary on hive minds, cynicism, and et.) than original Shadow, who had a backstory based entirely on making moral, ideological choices and changed said ideology because of a memory rather than any actual decision all his own, utterly destroying the entire premise and closest purpose to his character.

I say this loving Sonic Adventure 2.

Boom!Shadow wasn't all that relevant in Rise of Lyric, though. He had NO contribution to the main plot whatsoever. Many fans also state that Shadow wasn't even needed in that game to begin with because of how pointless and meaningless he was. Also, I don't even remotely believe for a second that Boom!Shadow was an "android" as some fans like to claim.

I agree with Boom!Sonic and Boom!Shadow being foils just like in the games.

Also, Boom!Shadow isn't much of an antagonist like you claim he is. He's more sympathetic and likable in Shattered Crystal. There, he was an Anti-Hero that was mind-controlled (via Helmet) by Lyric throughout the majority of that game. Shadow was NOT an antagonist. He was just forced by Lyric to do his dirty work. I want more of "Shattered Crystal" Shadow. That's the Shadow I expect to see in Season 2.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:54:13 AM by GreenBlade64 »

Singapore Sling

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
Right, but we're talking about the Boom cartoon. I don't think the games really matter at this point. And even then, he doesn't consume the plot of the Boom games like he does in the original series.

Also, I don't know why you expect his Shattered Crystal characterization in a show that ignores it completely.

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 09:04:42 AM »
Right, but we're talking about the Boom cartoon. I don't think the games really matter at this point. And even then, he doesn't consume the plot of the Boom games like he does in the original series.

Also, I don't know why you expect his Shattered Crystal characterization in a show that ignores it completely.

Agreed.

To be fair, we only saw him appear in ONE episode thus far. Shadow could eventually change later on in Season 2. It's a possibility. Honestly, I just want Boom!Shadow to act more like his game counterpart. When he broke free from Lyric's mind-control, he was back to his normal self. That's the Shadow I desire. Is that really too much to ask for? I want Boom!Shadow's personality to become closer to the Shadow we all know and love in the video games. I can learn to appreciate that. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Anyway, I'm done ranting about Boom!Shadow now.

A little side-note: Does anyone else think it could be possible to include at least one more character from the games into Sonic Boom? Who would your choice be? My choice would be Silver because there are so many different routes and possibilities that you can take with him. I know this would most likely never happen, but it's nice to dream (of an absolution).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:06:09 AM by GreenBlade64 »

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
A little side-note: Does anyone else think it could be possible to include at least one more character from the games into Sonic Boom? Who would your choice be? My choice would be Silver because there are so many different routes and possibilities that you can take with him. I know this would most likely never happen, but it's nice to dream (of an absolution).
Big the Cat.
"Ya know Amy, anytime someone calls attention to the breaking of gender roles, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is an exception and not the status quo." -God

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
Big the Cat.

What exactly would you want to do with him in the cartoon?

Offline Miru

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
An episode where Amy invites Shadow over on accident. Shadow's convinced the slumber party is a supervillain convention, and wonders if he is the host. Shadow then tries to make Amy and Perci do his "housework", which includes painting crude sketches of other supervillains to show how underneath him they are. Shadow then looks to try and invite Lyric over to boost morale. Ultimately, Shadow leaves when Perci goes home, not knowing it was a slumber party and not a supervillain convention.

Everyone's money has been stolen by a huge electromagnet. Eggman confirms he helped, but isn't the mastermind.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
What exactly would you want to do with him in the cartoon?
The only thing he's good at: not comprehending.
"Ya know Amy, anytime someone calls attention to the breaking of gender roles, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is an exception and not the status quo." -God

Offline GreenBlade64

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
The only thing he's good at: not comprehending.

Ooh! He could even be besties with Boom!Knuckles too! I'm loving it already. :)

I'd like to see an episode where Knuckles and Big both go to school together and fail at everything. That would be my saving grace. :D

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
An episode where Eggman makes a ray that will transform Sonic and friends into humans, but when he's about to fire it, Tails reverses the ray, and Eggman gets turned into an anthromorphic hedgehog! He must find a way to become human again!

Offline Miru

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
An episode where Eggman makes a ray that will transform Sonic and friends into humans, but when he's about to fire it, Tails reverses the ray, and Eggman gets turned into an anthromorphic hedgehog! He must find a way to become human again!

At the end, he's turned into a non-anthropomorphic one!

Glued To a Drive Thru- Sonic, Perci, and Metal Sonic are stuck in a car that is glued in place to a drive-thru.