21/06/18 - 09:19 AM

Author Topic: Building Booms: how to improve?  (Read 5806 times)

Offline GentlemanX

Re: Building Booms: how to improve?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 12:34:19 AM »
I'm actually pretty much of the same opinion, though I don't hate it as much as I did when it first started. I finally marathoned all 52 episodes a few months ago and my opinion was that it's really... forgettable. And not really having to do anything with Sonic.

Sonic Underground is probably the objectively worse show - Boom looks better, has better writing, better voice acting, debatably better music, etc. but I remember Underground. I liked Manic, Sonia, Sleet, and Dingo. I remembered Bartleby and the Oracle. I can admire the SatAM aesthetic taken in a slightly different direction. And at it's heart, Underground is still Sonic. Sonic still fights Robotink, Sonic's still fighting for freedom (whatever form that takes across the franchise), and the show actively tries different things, even if they're pretty generic kids show things.

Sonic Boom just doesn't. Sonic fights nothing, he doesn't have any goals at all for that matter. All of the characters and environments feel like mirror images of one another, nothing stands out as unique. The dialogue has to carry the plot because every story convention used is recycled from other work. Each episode functions the same way as well because they're just using a cookie cutter in terms of what a character or situation can do. You know when there's going to be a joke and you know what each character is going to say. It's all predictable and stagnant.

If all that makes you laugh (which for plenty it does), then job accomplished. But if it doesn't, the show feels completely empty. I have to say Orbot and Cubot are really the only characters that can get me to laugh, and it's usually because they're essentially playing the straight men in most bits (and Sonic and Amy aren't fun as straight men, especially after how much personality they have normally).

I'm also really not sure who the show's aimed for at this point. When it started I immediately figured kids, but it's obviously not a break away hit with them and it's split most of the Sonic fan demographic that seems to be the only people that care about it now. It's hard to call that sustainable especially since Boom's entire premise was to appeal more to kids.

For ways to improve? I'd say the best choice would be to introduce more reoccurring characters that have more to them than one punchline. An ongoing plot in the background (that almost never gets the focus, but you can tell is progressing) would also be nice. Anything to make it feel like something's happening when I watch the show.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
"I thought your middle name was 'The'"
That line was the most perfect one liner in all of Sonic history.
"Ya know Amy, anytime someone calls attention to the breaking of gender roles, it ultimately undermines the concept of gender equality by implying that this is an exception and not the status quo." -God

Offline Kelli

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 06:09:06 AM »
Got to agree with Gentlemanx and Fritzybeat,

Its a nice show but forgetful and mediocre and in an era where it competes against shows like Gravity Falls, Starfire vs the Forces of Evil, Steven Universe, Adventure time and even the Loud House, offer more better humor, adventure and better character writing that leaves an impact on its viewers.

The best part of the show is the animation it's colorful and appealing to look at but the humor is a hit and miss and  I dont feel like I care about any of the characters.

BoomAmy and BoomKnuckles might as well be just different characters, nothing that I love about the original Knuckles and Amy Rose is there
The show has claimed its in a  loopholegroundhogday meaning the creators said each episode is like a restart of the series so most episodes are not connected to one another and the characters dont learn or develop from their previous adventures.

...WHY DID THEY Do this? its such a shame and you cant argue to me this was the best way to deal with a show which has 13 minute running time *couch* Nope Steven universe also has a running time of 13 minites each episodes. Its not an excuse to be lazy and NOT give the characters some development. So if I was in charge that was  the first thing I would do.

Add a little more action as well, it feels like Eggman really isnt a threat and nothing can go wrong in this universe, Give the characters in the town more of a personality they are either too dumb standard or just there.. and give the characters a goal a motivation. Now it just seems like the characters are lazying arround.

Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Singapore Sling

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
...WHY DID THEY Do this? its such a shame and you cant argue to me this was the best way to deal with a show which has 13 minute running time *couch* Nope Steven universe also has a running time of 13 minites each episodes. Its not an excuse to be lazy and NOT give the characters some development. So if I was in charge that was  the first thing I would do.

Maybe it's that episodic, sitcom storytelling is a valid and tenured format of TV fiction and deciding to do it isn't being "lazy" and just naturally what the sitcom writers who write Boom are inclined to do.

I hate this idea that not doing certain things must obviously make someone lazy. It's just a creative choice. You get that you're insinuating people are being lazy at their jobs, right? Like you're saying "I don't like this TV show, therefore someone is slacking off at his workplace. The entire reason I do not like this show is because they're not working hard enough." That's ridiculous. It's just a creative choice you don't like.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Maybe it's that episodic, sitcom storytelling is a valid and tenured format of TV fiction and deciding to do it isn't being "lazy" and just naturally what the sitcom writers who write Boom are inclined to do.

I hate this idea that not doing certain things must obviously make someone lazy. It's just a creative choice. You get that you're insinuating people are being lazy at their jobs, right? Like you're saying "I don't like this TV show, therefore someone is slacking off at his workplace. The entire reason I do not like this show is because they're not working hard enough." That's ridiculous. It's just a creative choice you don't like.

I give you that but it's an odd creative choice to make for a franchise that of Sonic which is action-adventure based, not to mention sort of miss-used of marketing since it was markted as an action show. (going by the intro opening alone) Lazy wasn't the right word so I take that back I feel that the higher ups are restricting these writers when I get a feeling they could do a lot a lot better.

and heck I got to add I like alot of  Sitcoms even the ones that are regarded as below-average and Sonic Boom isn't good at hitting the sit-com spot either.

Sometimes odd-creative choices can work but in the right hands but this feels very 'restricted''

Offline Ian PK

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 02:52:43 PM »
The thing is, that whole "reset" thing isn't true, anyway. Small things are carried over between episodes. Dave had a small bit of character development throughout season 1, and Charlie became a villain due to Knuckles' actions in one episode and remained a villain later on. It's not a serial, but it's not like the entire universe starts over every episode.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »
The thing is, that whole "reset" thing isn't true, anyway. Small things are carried over between episodes. Dave had a small bit of character development throughout season 1, and Charlie became a villain due to Knuckles' actions in one episode and remained a villain later on. It's not a serial, but it's not like the entire universe starts over every episode.

If I am not mistaken the writers only talked about the Sega-Sonic characters maybe it means they have more freedom when it comes to the none-Sega characters, kind of like Archie. However Dave and Charlie's development is also bismal at best. I had to look up cause I forgot who Dave was. ._.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
Sitcoms aren't really about character development - not in theory anyway.

A situational comedy is about how character x, y and z deal with a given situation in a farcical manner:

I mean let's say you have a medieval knight, a cowboy and a spaceman - you put them in a situation that none of them are accustom to dealing with - perhaps they need to fly a helicopter from island number one to island number two - possibly because there's no food on island number one.

Medieval knight has no idea how to fly the helicopter - it's all magic and terrifying iron birds created by dark trickery and 'hocus pocus' to him - all he wants to do is beat the helicopter to death.
Cowboy has some understanding of machinery but the helicopter is just beyond his reach - he calls things doohickeys and doodads and mistakes something for a thingamajig but actually isn't really any closer to working the helicopter than the medieval knight.
Medieval knight and cowboy look to spaceman as their last resort - surely this guy who can fly a spaceship (admittedly he is himself without a spacecraft presently) can get them out of this fix. But no, he's just as much at a loss because in his words: "Flying a spaceship and flying a helicopter are two completely different things - it's like assuming because a cowboy can ride a horse he can ride a Tyrannosaurus Rex!"
Medieval knight and cowboy look at the spaceman blankly.
Cowboy: "What's a Tyrannosaurus Rex?"
Medival knight: "Is it something I can beat to death?"
Spaceman: "Sigh."

This situation is funny because they're all completely inept and unable to use the helicopter to get what they need. The story succeeds what it sets out to do - create humour.

Having learned nothing from the escapades with the helicopter, we can put those same characters into any other ridiculous situation to much the same effect - such as trying to open a locked treasure chest; the knight tries hitting it but just tires himself out; the cowboy tries shooting it with his gun but the bullet ricochets off the chest - and then the knight; the spaceman tries using science but ends up failing even more horribly than his cohorts. Other stories might involve trying to climb a tree; the knight is too heavy with his armour; the cowboy is too bow-legged from 'ridin hosses' to adequately straddle the tree and the spaceman... is afraid of heights.

The point is, the characters represent an idea - an archetype - their individual character development is not an integral or important component of the sitcom machinery - they don't need to develop or change - it's not that kind of story. You're looking for character development in a medium where it does not matter. If you want stories that provide character development you shouldn't be looking for it from Sonic BOOM.

And that was a post about trying to explain how comedy works. Not something someone should ever try to do and hope to succeed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:41:54 PM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline Kelli

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »
Indeed and I find that just lacking for a franchise that is known for Action and Adventure to choose this route at the same time competing against much loved and praised animated shows.

But I guess a big part of the Sonic fanbase doesn't really care as long as we get those sonamy moments . : | yeah I already dropped Boom.

Offline Toby

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
I like Boom because it's not action packed, but rather mellow. It's a nice, comfy change of pace compared to the rest of the franchise.

Offline RaceProUK

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
To be honest, I think people are too eager to compare two shows with fundamentally different briefs. Yes, Sonic Boom may not stack up to e.g. Steven Universe, but consider that that may be deliberate. At the end of the day, Boom is a simple show where cute colourful furry critters get up to antics and hijinks while fighting a mad scientist who wants to build a theme park so he can sell overpriced merch. When written out, it's obvious that the premise is fundamentally ridiculous. I don't know the premise of Steven Universe, but I get the feeling it's rather more serious and rather more complex than playschool-coloured critters fighting a fat man and his robots.

Sonic Boom is not the greatest cartoon ever made. Heck, it's not even the best cartoon on TV right now. But it fulfils its brief well enough for my tastes. So it doesn't stack up to Steven Universe. But here's the thing: it doesn't have to. It succeeds at what it's meant to be, and that's what matters.

Offline Kelli

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 05:29:18 AM »
I am well aware of that tho I think we can argue wherever a show succeeds or not, I mean I like my sitcoms and I like my animated sitcoms but the jokes of Boom often mostly miss with me then hit. maybe indeed I keep comparing it to different shows which writing quality is obvious different in that regard.

Sonic Boom isn't the worst show there is. (animation is lovely)  the premise is weird but every premise is weird from cartoon shows that aint going to stop me, I just feel empty watching it and when the fanbase can only be excited about possible sonamy moments out of a next-season trailer it really shows that's all there is to it. Some episodes make me smile but that is only 7 out of 52 so far (which isn't good.) this just comes from a person who really, REALLY wanted to get into Sonic Boom and tried her hardest to get into it, because the animation alone made me happy, I just wanted to share my utter disappointment of the potential it could have had if it was more action or adventure packed. But hey I at least got the main games and the comics for that. 

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »
I mean, I get where the show is coming from in terms of its approach, but as a sitcom I also don't find it to be all that funny. There is better/funnier stuff out there. I personally don't rate the writers of Sonic BOOM as particularly funny, clever or inventive.

I feel the same way about Teen Titans GO! - it's not that it's in any way a 'bad example' of how to do a sitcom - and there are some golden episodes (such as Burger vs. Burrito) - but it more often than not doesn't hold my interest or make me laugh out loud. I don't find myself waiting intently for the next episode. In fact I haven't watched a new episode of TTG for months.

I'm also feeling that way about the recent episodes of Steven Universe though - the recent episodes haven't set my world alight like previous episodes have - but I at least feel the need to watch them as they come out. I suppose I might just be going through a phase of apathy/disinterest - but it also might be that I'm more interested in my own comic project thing at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:57:38 AM by DoNotDelete »

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 09:12:58 AM »
It succeeds at what it's meant to be, and that's what matters.

I think it fails, fundamentally at what it tried to be. I think its just bad, I think a lot of the suggests for the show to be something else, stems from the notion that its bad. And i'm not fond of this argument because it kind of sounds like you are giving someone with a low E a passing grade because technically he did write 500 words on a paper. I think its genuinely really bad

Offline Kelli

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 05:48:56 AM »
I think it fails, fundamentally at what it tried to be. I think its just bad, I think a lot of the suggests for the show to be something else, stems from the notion that its bad. And i'm not fond of this argument because it kind of sounds like you are giving someone with a low E a passing grade because technically he did write 500 words on a paper. I think its genuinely really bad

I feel the same way about the show, even what its trying to be it sometimes hits that note but more often then not it isnt