21/06/18 - 09:18 AM

Author Topic: Building Booms: how to improve?  (Read 5805 times)

Offline RaceProUK

Re: Building Booms: how to improve?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »
I think a lot of the suggests for the show to be something else, stems from the notion that its bad.
I think it stems from people expecting the wrong things from the show. I went in with no expectations and an open mind, and as a result, I was able to evaluate the show on its own merits, instead of continually comparing it to what came before, only for it to come up short. However, I've seen plenty of people not only slam the show without giving it much of a chance, but then go on to complain very loudly about how Boom is going to ruin the whole franchise. Why? Because they had the wrong idea, and they refuse to let it go.

If you've given the show a fair chance and don't like it, that's fair enough. Plenty of people rave about the OVA movie, which I consider vastly overrated. Just don't let your like or dislike of something overrule an objective evaluation. Sonic Boom exists to attract a new generation of fans, not to pander to the older fans. This is why I greatly object to Shadow's appearance, which is cringeworthy and pure, unashamed fanservice. Plus, Eggman's fangirl-esque fawning is pathetic and totally lacking in any redeemable features.

If you're going to do something new, do something new. And don't inject Edgelord the Recolour in a desperate attempt to appease the older fans: they won't approve. Oh, and you can leave out Boobs the Fanservice too.

Offline SBR

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 09:54:02 AM »
Oh, and you can leave out Boobs the Fanservice too.

Rouge is so much more that just Fanservice. I do agree with your main point though.
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
I watched a few episodes of Boom with no expectations - not comparing it to anything Sonic that came before - and still found it unremarkable, uninventive, unfunny and not-in-the-least-bit clever.

All the people slamming it as being a bad show? It might just be that - to them - the show is actually, genuinely bad and not that they're weighing it up against other Sonic crap - none of which is truthfully set-the-world-alight fantastic either.

I don't have a problem with Rouge either. Just because a character has a cleavage doesn't mean that's all they're about. Your fixation on that one part of her character actually speaks more about your own individual prejudices.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline Kelli

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
Like I stated before I WANTED to get into Sonic Boom that is why I ended up watching most of the episodes, the style is very pretty , the show is colorful and the animation is just my thing, with Sonic I am always prepared that the tone is going to different I watched Satam. Underground, Ova, Sonic X , read archie  and Fleetway so I knew it was going to be its own thing and yeah I just thought it was genuinely bad.
Checkoutmyart at DA: http://kell0x.deviantart.com/

Offline RaceProUK

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »
I don't have a problem with Rouge either. Just because a character has a cleavage doesn't mean that's all they're about. Your fixation on that one part of her character actually speaks more about your own individual prejudices.
Thanks for completely missing my point and levelling a totally unjustified insult.

Next time, actually read my whole post, then you might just understand why I choose the terms I do. It should have been obvious from the fact I used the name 'Shadow' multiple times and 'Edgelord' once that I was talking about two different manifestations of the character. That same logic applies to Rouge.

Just because I have a jokey nickname for a character, does not mean that's my true opinion.

One more thing: The inclusion of Tails, Knuckles, and Amy is not fanservice because all three have well-defined roles within the show (mechanic/inventor/technical exposition, dumb jock/brawn/comic relief, and grace/elegance/emotional exposition (yes, I'm serious) respectively), and their inclusion adds qualitative depth to the stories. The inclusion of Shadow however is fanservice as the only reason he's included is because he's popular.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:59:55 AM by RaceProUK »

Offline Miru

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »

One of my favorite bits of manga trivia was the fact Akira Amano knowingly drew Katekyo Hitman Reborn's early chapters as fairly rough and subpar not because she didn't care about the quality of the work but because she knew the most important thing was whether or not the jokes landed. I can't imagine Sonic Boom is ANYONE'S passion project, from Freiberger to any of the animators. They're probably mocking themselves less out of some plan to "improve" and more because they probably don't take this goofy tie-in show nearly as seriously as fans do.

Really? He writes himself into the show! He really should stop doing that.

For one thing, I'd get rid of the author avatar non-sonicy characters being in the limelight. I would put focus on more actual Sonic-type characters, to play up the irony of the sitcom.

Singapore Sling

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Comedy Chimp is a beautiful angel so I disagree.

Offline Miru

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 11:25:11 PM »
Comedy Chimp is a beautiful angel so I disagree.

I guess Vishnuu here can stay in a reduced role.

Offline DoNotDelete

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
Thanks for completely missing my point and levelling a totally unjustified insult.

Next time, actually read my whole post, then you might just understand why I choose the terms I do. It should have been obvious from the fact I used the name 'Shadow' multiple times and 'Edgelord' once that I was talking about two different manifestations of the character. That same logic applies to Rouge.

Just because I have a jokey nickname for a character, does not mean that's my true opinion.

I was in a particularly abrasive/disinterested  mood when I made that post. I apologise for that.

Unjustified? True opinion? IIRC you have expressed concerns/opinions regarding characters having breasts/large breasts before - forgive me for interpreting that as a pattern revealing a personal prejudice.

"We're all of us works in progress." Megatron: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Offline RaceProUK

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
IIRC you have expressed concerns/opinions regarding characters having breasts/large breasts before
Not here, not that I recall.

Edit: Just did a few searches, and the only posts I can find that mention breasts in any way are the two in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:38:26 PM by RaceProUK »

Offline RaceProUK

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
An interesting tweet. No idea if it's definite though.

Singapore Sling

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
The Boom writers are great.