20/08/17 - 08:28 AM

Author Topic: Sonic Mania Discussion Thread (Spoilers MUST be tagged)  (Read 7550 times)

Offline SBR

Re: Sonic Mania Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
Here's the boss of Green Hill:
[ You must login or register to view this spoiler! ]

Okay so just so I'm clear [ You must login or register to view this spoiler! ]
"Ian Flynn is if Dan Slott used his powers for good instead of evil." ~CameronSamurai from Rangerboard.

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Okay so just so I'm clear [ You must login or register to view this spoiler! ]

For the first time in his life, Sonic is devoid of humor.
For the first time in his life, Sonic truly understands the meaning of war.

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
A better look at Chemcial Plant:

Love that you can make Tails airlift you.  Also, this gives me an idea for the formula of the revisited stages in this game: Act 1 will be a fairly faithful recreation of the original level with some new stuff sprinkled here and there, and Act 2 is where they really start to shake things up.

Offline Snrub

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Oh cool, so it is 1.5 player after all? I'll have to get another controller so I can make my sister play as Tails again. :))
“Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible.” -Richard Feynman

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
Green Hill act 2 and the boss. Direct audio with no commentary, so you can hear that fantastic Green Hill remix and boss theme.

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Okay, so I've been doing a bit of math in regards to the number of zones that will be in this game.  It's already confirmed that there will be more remixed levels than new ones, and I think we have a good idea of how many new zones will be in this game:

Based on this guesstimate picture of the Hard-Boiled Heavies, we can assume that there are 5 of them.  And it's a safe bet that they will only appear in the new stages.  Okay, so that's 5 new zones.  So there must be at least 6 remixed zones.  We already know of 4 of them: Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway and Flying Battery.  Since there are more remixed levels than there are Classic games, there will probably be 2 remixed levels from each game.  2 from Sonic 1, 2 from Sonic 2, 2 from Sonic CD, and probably 1 from Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles each.  That's a total of 8 remixed zones, and with the 5 new zones that's a total of 13.  Throw in the likely climactic final level, and that's a grand total of 14 zones in the game.

Dang.

« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
Even though they were both meant to be one singular game, it's possible that there might also be a stage from StH3 in addition to one from S&K.

If that's the case, I don't know what the remaining stage might be from. But knowing the team developing the game, it might be a surprise from an unexpected title. "Knuckles Chaotix", perhaps? Or maybe "3D Blast" or StH4?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:50:21 PM by LogiTeeka »

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
Even though they were both meant to be one singular game, it's possible that there might also be a stage from StH3 in addition to one from S&K.

A while back Taxman said we'd see "stuff" from both Sonic 3 and S&K. He doesn't specifically confirm an entire level from Sonic 3, but it's possible.

StH4?

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
StH4?

I thought my mention of "Knuckles Chaotix" and "3D Blast" would've garnered a similar reaction.

Offline LargoDELLZ

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
"Knuckles Chaotix", perhaps? or StH4?

Nah, only good thing about Chaotix is the music and graphics. And the less I say about Sonic 4, the better.
"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »
Chaotix's final boss is terrifying. it's so big!

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
To support my earlier theory on the zone count, now we have this article: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/22/sonic-mania-will-feature-more-stages-than-any-classic-sonic-game/amp/
According to Iizuka, Sonic Mania will have the most levels of any Classic Sonic game.

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
To support my earlier theory on the zone count, now we have this article: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/22/sonic-mania-will-feature-more-stages-than-any-classic-sonic-game/amp/
According to Iizuka, Sonic Mania will have the most levels of any Classic Sonic game.

Sonic 1 - 6 stages.
Sonic CD - 7 stages.
Sonic 2 - 11 stages (counting Sky Chase).
Sonic 3 / Sonic and Knuckles - 6 and 7 stages respectively (13 collectively).
Sonic 4 Part 1/part 2 - 5 stages respectively (10 collectively).
Sonic Generations - 9 Classic stages.

So yeah, 14 stages is the highest amount thus far. But only by one.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:11:56 PM by LogiTeeka »

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
I kinda wish they would insert levels that aren't 8-bit. Like adventure 1's mystic ruins. Or Adventure 2's pumpkin hill. (Skyrail daytime, can easily take inspiration from that as it was a shadow stage.) Maybe Sonic chronicles's blue ridge? I liked the music even if it was horribly bit crunched. Then take those levels and make genesis level equivalents.

On another note, I feel like we don't get enough night time levels. Or level's with different sky's. A famous artist once put beige into the sky of one of his paintings.

And on that note, I love the way Mania is using it's colors. I believe a representative of SEGA long ago answered a reporter, who told told the guy that Mario had more colors and asked how he was gonna top that with the smaller amount of colors Sonic had. The SEGA guy said: "It's not how many colors you have, it's how you use them."

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
I kinda wish they would insert levels that aren't 8-bit.

Last time I checked, I don't think they ever did.